Cat Forum banner

Gift Ideas for 2 cats (and a turtle) in the UK?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Ritzpg 
#1 ·
Just wondering if there were any treats/toys for cats that are hard to find in the UK?

I'm part of an international gift exchange for pets (by reddit, not sure I can post the link here) and we got our matches for the "Present for Pets" exchange today. My match is a lovely lady in the UK with two beautiful black kitties (and a turtle!) I'm so glad I got matched with another cat owner - I'd be at such a loss to get a present for a bird or lizard.

I think I'm going to get her some local treats and toys (there's these great "hackey cats" toys hand-made here with honeysuckle). I was just wondering if there's any UK users here that know of difficult-to-find stuff that would make a cat owner happy?

I'm also at a total loss what to get a turtle ???

Weight is an issue, unfortunately, so nothing too heavy or bulky unless it's so amazing it can be the only present.

#2 ·
I'm not in the UK, but I do have turtles. What to get the turtle really depends on if it's a land or aquatic turtle and then it gets down to species. It's just so hard shopping for a person you don't know. In general, I would say a gift card to either a local pet store or an online retailer so the person can pick out what they need. I'm guessing this defeats the purpose of the program though.

Most turtle species don't play like furries do. Some turtles might but it's usually the torts that are more playful. You can't exactly get a ball or chew toy for a turtle because it would be wasted. The only thing I can think of is stuff a person needs to care for turtles. UVB lights are always a must if the turtle is indoors. Food is always a must and this could include bugs and worms or fruits and veggies depending on the turtle species. Knowing the setup for the turtle cage would help as well. If the turtle is an outdoor only turtle, then seeds for a lovely strawberry plant would work. If it's an indoor turtle, then this could also work but might require the owner to buy a pot and soil to grow them. Turtles in general love strawberries so I threw it out there. If the turtle is a land turtle and lives in a turtle table, then there might be room to grow the plant right in the cage. If it's an aquatic turtle, then not so much.

I know it's not much help but I tried! The cat toys sound great though. Send some my way. I have a dog and three cats who would love them. Lol

#3 ·
Thanks so much, Cali! I guess it's a tortoise, not a turtle (it has feets!) Here's a picture of her (I think it's adorable that the turtle has a pet snail);

I'll try to find a place local to her to get a strawberry plant delivered (if that's even possible). Sending seeds/plants internationally is a no-go, I think.

#4 ·
My daughter lives in the U.K. with her cat, Neko. She always wants me to send her some Canadian toy mice. She finds the toy mice in the U.K. to be flimsy in comparison. She has concluded that, because there are so many outdoor cats in the U.K., there's not much need for strong toy mice. She says Neko tears apart the U.K. mice in the space of a day, whereas the Canadian mice last a lot longer! Also, I don't believe she's able to find Da Bird in the U.K., since that's something else she always wants in her Neko care package.

Can't help you with the tortoise, although the picture of him and his friend the snail is adorable!

#5 ·
I found this - I think it's a neat "people present" while also being good for a turtle. :)

Eggling Crack & Grow - Wild Strawberry: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

(The one review on amazon is bad, but it has better reviews on other sites, like this one; http://www.fatbraintoys.com/reviews/toy_companies/noted/eggling.cfm )
Da Bird is available with free shipping from amazon.co.uk. I'm debating whether I should just send stuff via there (saving the $40 shipping means buying more presents). I know it's less personal, though. Decisions decisions...

Thanks for the heads up about the Toy mice, Susan! Even if I send direct from UK distributors, I may send a few of the handmade goods from here.

#6 ·
Small update in case anyone cares. :)

Today I bought two small honeysuckle toys handmade by the local no-kill cat rescue. They are very cute - one is a snake and the other's a red macaw, I mailed them off with a card and some drawings. I also used the co.uk Amazon site to send the Eggling (linked above) and a Da Bird toy. I hope she likes it!!

Since the exchange is closed to new participants, I think I can post a link to the gallery? See some happy pets! Presents for Pets present photos, videos and more

One lady received a HUGE Armakat. Wow!

#7 ·
I just saw that Armakat. Wow! That's the type of "santa" I want to be. Just wow!

I also saw that one woman was very sad when her box arrived because some of the toys were for a pet she had to put to sleep just a few days before the box arrived. I almost cried when I read that. Poor woman!

Other than that, I'm glad you were able to find gifts for your exchange! I'm sure the pets will love it. I came back to this thread a little late, but that Eggling is great! I'm not sure what sort of tort that is but I can almost guarantee that he/she will love those strawberries!

#13 ·
I didn't want to start a new thread, but THIS popped up today.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm so excited! This has been the higlight of an otherwise terrible day of substance abuse and self-loathing. :D

My profile had said the person hadn't looked atmy profile since matching (mid-august) so to be honest I thought maybe I had been forgotten about. Which I don't really mind (I love giving and have been shafted on matching a few times before) so... ahhh! THREE packages?! eeeeeeeeeeee

#14 ·
Presents for pet lovers in Greece

Does anyone know of a similar organization (open to new participants). I'm going to Greece on vacation in 2.5 weeks and am arranging to help feed cats in Athens and visit the donkey/dog refuge in Santorini (SAWA doesn't really have a facility for cats). Other than money and vet drugs (the latter probably illegal to import), what gifts would you suggest. I am bringing t-shirts from the organizations I volunteer for (www.ruderanch.org) and TRN through (Alley Cat Allies). Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.