Cat Forum banner

New Apartment (When to Move Kitty?)

926 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Layla0710 
#1 ·
I know, another thread about moving but I did a search I didn't find an answer to this specific question.

What would be best- to move the cat into the new place and get him/her settled while you move the rest of the furniture, or move everything else first (while kitty is locked up safely) and then come back for the cat?

I am unfortunately downsizing into an apartment by myself after a breakup. We've been at the current place for two years and she is really happy here. I'm not moving far, actually just staying in the same complex in a one bedroom, so no long torturous car ride.

Ideally I'd like to move everything and have it all unpacked, set up, and organized before bringing her over, but I only have one day and other than transporting the heavy stuff I'm doing it all on my own.

So what do you guys think? Should I get her set up in the new bathroom first before moving furniture, or leave her safely contained in the current place until everything else is removed?

Yes, she'll be uncomfortable in the new place right off but I know she also won't feel entirely comfortable in the current place while people are here moving stuff, making noise, and going in and out. She's a little timid and I want to do my best by her. I intend on staying at the new apartment that night and the following day (moving over the weekend) to hang out with her. And of course as long as it takes for her to be happy and feel safe.

Thanks in advance! I just want to make this as easy as possible for my little one.

See less See more
#2 ·
Leave her safely contained in the old place, away from all the hustle and bustle of moving (perhaps in a room that has already had most everything moved out, or the bathroom or second bedroom.) If you move her to the new place first, she'll likely freak out more without all her familiar surroundings. The other thing you could do is to keep her in the old place until you get the bedroom moved over and set up as much as possible, then move her into the bedroom in the new place and keep her confined to that room until you are done. I think it's important that she's safely confined to a familiar place until you can get her into the new place with stuff that she's familiar with.

#3 ·
I agree with Nell, in that I'd move everything first and the cat last. Once you're at the new place, I wouldn't lock her up (assuming there's no more comings and goings). She will likely want to sniff around and explore the new surroundings and, assuming that's the case, I'd let her do so. On the other hand, if she wants to hide under the bed or what-have-you, I'd let her do that too...whatever makes her most comfortable in dealing with her new surroundings.

#4 ·
Thanks so much, guys!

That's what we did when we first moved into this apartment- we brought the majority of the furniture over then got her last. I will probably let her chill out in the master bedroom since no one besides myself will need to get in there during the move and it's closed off from the other rooms.

I really appreciate the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.