Cat Forum banner

Strange Cough

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  beth1954 
#1 ·
My cat occasionally has a strange cough. He gets really low on the floor, especially his head goes really low and he has a strange cough. It lasts about 10-15 seconds, sometimes a bit longer then he seems to swallow and then is fine after that. It started a few days ago. I am not sure if this is something I should be very concerned about. Anyone know what it is?

#2 ·
He could have a hairball, in which case, you could give him a gob of petroleum jelly (Vasoline). However, when in doubt, it's always best to see a vet. I also had a cat die with no other symptom. It is believed she had a heart attack.

If you use petroleum jelly, I would advise putting it on his paws. He'll lick it off. You can buy malt flavored hairball meds at a pet shop. Some cats like the flavor. Mine did not, so when I learned about Vasoline being the main ingredient, I began to use it. Good luck.

#3 ·
thanks, I don't think it is a hairball. Nothing ever comes out. He is short haired kitten, and he did it 3 times already within a few days. So, I think it is something else. Is it possible he just has a cold and coughing? I was reading that it might be feline asthma. I am not sure what it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.