Cat Forum banner

Guess I have to seperate..

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RachandNito 
#1 ·
Should have already if the fact we have one litter box wasn't holding me back. Payday is 5 days away but I'm going tonight to buy another litter box and a kitty bed. I cleaned the laundry room and will be putting the new cat in there. She's OK with buttercup but buttercup wont stop growling at her. Our new kitty comes out from under the couch and while I'm petting her she's at ease and ignored buttercups protests but buttercup follows her growling at her.. I'm hoping this wont last long. Poor cat wont come out from under the couch unless I coax her out or she wants to eat which has me nervous she may be holding her bladder too long. Our laundry room is down stairs and I go in there often so she wont be alone a lot. and our laundry door is slatted so they can smell and see each other when they want. I pet the cat and then let buttercup sniff my hand and she seems interested in her smell and not bothered so I'm hopeful that she's only acting this way because she's young and unsure. After separating what should I do next? how long do I separate... wow I should have looked this up more but Ive never had issues introducing an animal before.

#3 ·
Someone (^ :wink:) recently told me how their vet intro's new animals into their home, and I happen to have used it for my very first adult feral-intro, but I overall LOVE the idea for *any* intro because the simple idea appears to allow for great results.

A large dog crate, protected on two sides. Either placed in a corner or with some stiff-siding attached to form two solid walls with a protected corner. The large crate can have litterbox and food/water, with up to 2 levels of perches across the back for height and/or sleeping cubicles. The cat is *in* the home and visible by the residents and the new cat can view the home and residents from the safety of their kennel. After a period of time, when no one is excited about the site/sounds/smells of the new-comer and hissing has stopped, then they can be allowed out for access and interaction with the established cats. By this time, all of the cats have learned to see and live with each other because of having both access and protection in the large crate/kennel.
I think it is a *great* idea for helping to integrate cats into a home!

#5 ·
Just have your Buttercup (my dog has the same name :)) sniff the other cat's scent on you or a blanket that she has laid on and vice versa for the other babe. I always found this to be successful... but it may take a couple of days. I promise it will get better. I have acclimated many cats to mine for fostering purposes and they all eventually get along they just have to get over the hump of who is the queen bee in the household. Good luck!

#6 ·
OK separating was completely hopeless. Lexie, as I now named her.. came darting out of the laundry room every chance she got. But on the plus they are exploring the house together.. buttercup trotting behind her eagerly and sniffing her tail at every chance. Apparently Lexie doesn't know how to read her though because she stops dead in her tracks whips around and swats her. After 24 hours of Buttercup growling at her I dont blame her for finally asserting herself :lol:. They have both relaxed immensely though. I give it 3 more days and they will be best friends, just from the progress in 24 hours. they are both eating, playing and using one of the 2 litter boxes so I know they're at least comfortable enough for all that. I got a bunch of new toys too so they cant fight over who the toy belonged to first. I have hope... LOL

#8 ·
Your's are moving much faster than mine. My second cat is a Siamese too and she didn't want to stay in isolation either. She'd rather risk being growled at and chased by a cat 3 times her size than hide.

#10 ·
I have been through the 24 hr transformation. One day hissing and threatening, the next licking and playing. But during their first play sessions, my older resident cat would play with the new kittens but be hissing at the same time! The kittens didn't know what to think, but just sort of went with it, and now they are pals.

#11 ·
RachandNito said:
my older resident cat would play with the new kittens but be hissing at the same time! The kittens didn't know what to think, but just sort of went with it, and now they are pals.
That is kinda what I'm doing. Lexie is comfortable enough to walk around during the day now and force me to pet her. She tried to play with buttercup and mostly buttercup likes the chasing but every once in awhile she gets scared and starts hissing again...

#12 ·
It makes you wonder what's going through their heads! I would get frustrated seeing Nito get all mew-mew frisky, only to randomly hiss while they were playing. It always seemed like his eyes were used to the sight of the kittens, and so he'd be roped into their games, but their smell was still offensive to him, and once he'd catch a hiss he'd automatically hiss.

"Ooh, hey I'm gonna getcha! *pounce* Hee hee let's wrestle! Wait a minute... HISSSSSS"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.