Cat Forum banner

your cat is not your friend

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Straysmommy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
i was probably biased before i even read the article itself, but for some reason i didn't like it at all! seems very disjointed actually and i can't tell if the writer actually likes or dislikes his cats or is just a little whacko. didn't agree with the stuff he said, anyway.

so, i agree with you, CJinCA! i don't care either! i also love my cat and she loves me! :luv

oh yeah, and this guy IS crazy if he thinks most humans are in control in the household. doesn't he realize we are just staff???? he is so out of touch.

#3 ·
Odd article, I agree, disjointed. The title doesn't fit, after reading, the author seems to really be saying that cats don't like eachother, not that they don't like us. My cats very definitely like me and spend time with me for reasons other than food, although food never hurts.

#4 ·
I'm not even sure aout the cats not defending each other bit. Years back we had three cats - Princess Tramp who we still have, Trixie and Shadow. They were all indoor / outdoor cats. Although un-neutered on vet's advice because of his asthma, Shadow was very laid back and simply didn't get into fights. In fact he and another un-neutered tom belonging to a neighbour used to "hang-out" together a lot. There was another un-neutered tom who was a real bruiser - as tough as heck - a real thug. Shadow and Reggie would both disappear at the sight of him - until the day he had a go at the girls. The princess and Trixie were literally huddled together in a corner and I was on my way out to rescue them when a transformed Shadow launched himself into the fray. He was suddenly a wild cat and this was one of the most laid back cats I have ever had. The noise was unbelievable but in seconds the thug was running away. Shadow positively strutted up the path and stright to his girls where the three made a huge fuss of each other.

Even longer ago we had a massive black cat who was semi-feral and although he was neutered I admit he was more "macho" than Shadow. A dog went for our dog in the lane and the cat leapt from the garden wall onto the aggressor's back in support.

#5 ·
Clearly written with tongue firmly in cheek. You lot think this is serious?
Have you ever danced in front of a cat? Then you know what they think of it. They are not impressed. You need a firm commitment to the performing arts to keep dancing when a cat is watching you. A dog might very well dance with you. A cat will leave the room.
That made me lol.

#6 ·
I think a lot of it was tongue in cheek and that all of it was meant to be humourous but I got the impression that the writer was also trying to make serious points as to how he / she regards relationships between cats and other cats and cats and people.

It's well written and amusing but I simply don't think that all cats are the same and don't entirely agree with it.

#7 ·
Pretty funny. A tongue in cheek expansion on the "Cats have staff" theory.

A non-cat lover wouldn't be surrounded by kittehs* in bed.

*That's the new spelling by popular demand. Just as we dropped the extraneous "u" from color.

#8 ·
Arianwen, I'm relieved that you think so, because I was disappointed by that part of the article. I may be wrong, but I think cats do derive comfort from the presence of other cats, and even if they don't get along!! Maybe it's what I'd like to think, I don't know. Stray colonies do defend each other and the colony from stranger newcomers, I see it everyday in my colony downstairs. And when there's a fight, it's VERY clear who each of them sides with. Cats do have friends among other cats. They tend to prefer some cats over others, same as we humans do. They take long to make a new friendship with a cat they've known a while sometimes, and then they become friends. I've seen this in my colony. But they are a lot more individualistic than pack animals, preferring to do their thing if there's something they feel like doing at a certain moment, rather than stick with their friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.