Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capstar?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  spirite 
#1 ·
Have any of you used Capstar oral flea treatment? What are the pros and cons?
The package says it's safe for kitten 2 lbs and over. I've read the reviews on Amazon and most give it 4-5 stars.

I have 2 foster kittens both a tad bit over 2 lbs. Vet says wait another 2 weeks for Revolution. I was consider using Capstar and a good Dawn bath but I'm not sure if the Capstar is a good idea.

I'm just really creeped out by the thought of fleas jumping onto me and then my own two cats.

Anyone experience with this product?

#4 ·
I gave Capstar to my girls and to the stray cat I brought in last year, just to kill any fleas that might be present. No issues with it. I then followed up with Revolution.

I hope the fleas haven't migrated meggie. I can't tell you what a pain it was to get rid of them!

#5 ·
I gave Capstar to Coco to relieve her itching of flea bites (it only kills the live fleas not the eggs), and followed it up with Advantage II. I was able to get the flea situation under control but the scratching still continued. She is terribly allergic and once she starts itching she has a hard time stopping. I ended up taking her to the vet for a shot and that helped immediately.

#6 ·
I wish I had done more research before I decided to do a TNR project. I would have given each cat a dose of Capstar right away the night they were trapped.

I discovered a colony living in a busy shopping plaza. People were feeding but no one was planning a TNR. I called every rescue and either got no response or was told I'd have to TNR on my own. A few people offered to help/help pay. Well, that didn't come to pass and the time, effort and money was on me.

The clinic gave shots and a dose of Revolution but I'm sure I brought in some fleas. I transported them ( 15 total) in my SUV and keep them in my garage for recovery.

One of them was a nursing mother with two kittens. She is totally tame and was most likely dumped there. I've taken her and the kittens to my vet and keeping them in two separate cages in my garage until I find a rescue who will take them.

I had no idea what I was getting into.

I'm not worried about the time or money I spent doing this, but I feel really bad about exposing my own two cats to fleas. Not to mention how upset they've been about having strangers in the garage. They've both darted out into the garage several times to see whats going on and they don't like it! lol

#7 ·
Wow, FIFTEEN? Helping one stray/feral is already a good deed. 15 is heroic.

:worship

It happens so often that people offer to help, and they do mean it, but somehow, when it comes down to it, they're not able/wiling to follow through, which is maybe understandable, but unfortunate. I'm sure there have been situations where I had the best intentions, but then I got busy or whatever. It's amazing that you just went ahead and took this on by yourself.

I had my stray in a separate room, and my girls weren't allowed in there, so like you, I'm sure I'm the one who gave them fleas. It took nearly a week after the first dose of Revolution before I saw no more dead fleas on Celia. One night, I was itchy in bed, and sure enough, in the morning I found a dead flea in the sheets. Eccchhhhhh. The worst part was how time-consuming it was to keep vacuuming and washing things. And even after the exterminator pronounced my house flea-free, I felt itchy for weeks afterwards!

#8 · (Edited)
I spent days vacuuming, mopping and washing everything in sight. I haven't seen any fleas, but I sure feel itchy! Might be my imagination??

I found a rescues who was willing to take the mother and her kittens! I dropped them off Saturday afternoon. Hopefully they wont be there for long.

The whole thing was a lot of work but worth it. I'm looking forward to getting an email saying that the mother and babies have all been adopted. Fingers crossed that it will be very soon.

#9 ·
It definitely could be your imagination! Fleas are so sneaky that you just feel sure that some rogue flea is still hanging out somewhere, even if they're all gone.

So glad you found a rescue for the mama kitty and her kittens! I will definitely keep my fingers crossed that they all find homes quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.