Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She needs to give them a sample of her urine. The blood test showed some elevated readings indicating a problem and they are hoping the urine sample will point to an infection (easily treated) or kidney failure (not so easily treated).
I'm asking for purrayers for Shasta again.

As a side note, she has been more like her old self, walking around with her tail up, snuggling, eating well and talking to us.
h

PS...does anyone have a link to the site about caring for cats with renal disease, limited function/failure?
thnx

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I hope Shasta has some bacteria floating around in her urine and that it is easily treated.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, me too.

I hated having to stuff her into the carrier. She knew what was up and tried to escape. Poor little Poppet.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave myself a treat as I left the vet office about a half hour ago to bring Shasta home. I grabbed four tootsie roll candies out of the counter jar!

SassaFrass has the middle/late stages of kidney failure. My vet gave me plenty of reading material and some websites to check out, two I recall being a yahoo groups and a felineCRF site. She said there weren't any meds to reverse this, and the best I could do is keep her hydrated by adding water to the canned food and feeding a senior type feed because the protiens are easier to digest.

I'll do my best for my Frazzle.
h

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Oh no... the worst news... I haven't the slightest doubt that you'll make her as comfortable as possible...

So sorry to hear this Heidi.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Heidi, I'm so sorry to hear about Shasta. Hopefully she will remain healthy for a long time. I know there are many things that can be done to help. I had a kitty once that only had one kidney, and that one kidney was not in the best of shape. She lived to be 15 with special food and sub-Q fluids once in a while. Be sure to watch her teeth. The thing that killed my poor Bleu kitty was a bad tooth that got infected. We didn't even know her tooth was bad.
Best wishes to both of you.

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this about Shasta, I hope you can get it under control and keep her around for a long time.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me too. She is only 6 years old. Husband found her in our garage in 2002.

I think we'd only had her for a few weeks when I took this pic:

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
Oh, I didn't realize she is so young...poor baby. But on the bright side, I know someone who has a cat that was diagnosed with CRF at age 4 and was still going strong at age 14. Get yourself on those 2 websites, as far as I know they're the 'premier' sites for CRF and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Shasta is sooo adorable! (((HUGS)))
I have heard of other CRF kitties who lived for more than fifteen happy years.

May the kitty guardian angels bless Shasta, keeping her safe and healthy.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been doing some research (foods and treatment/supportive care options) and comparing her bloodtest results...and I do not think she is as bad off as my vet feels. Her values of BUN, Creatinine, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Sodium are not very far from normal and are very different (much lower) than what the websites are saying CRF cats exhibit.

I am optimistic I should be able to maintain her with a change in diet and careful observation to be sure she is hydrated and eating. The only problem I forsee is food division; she gets her special food and the other cats get their regular food with no cross-eating of the diets.
My biggest worry, is her young age. For her to be having problems and diagnosed at this young age, it leads me to believe this is probably a very aggressive form of CRF with her, and our time may be limited.
We'll fight it the best we can...
Heidi

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
If anyone can gt a handle on all of this and help Shasta to have a long and happy life, it is you Heidi. She is in the best hands possible.

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
[[[[hugs to you and Shasta Heidi]]]]

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I'm sorry the news wasn't better, Heidi, but it sounds like you've got a good handle on the whole thing. That picture of her when you had her for a couple weeks is just adorable. She's a lucky girl that she wandered into your garage.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She has been doing very well. Roaming around and following me, talking with us, intently staring out the window at birds/squirrels, eating and cuddling on my lap. I'm still researching foods and have several manufacturer numbers to call on Monday and then I'll make a decision, order and begin her on her new food when it arrives.

I am thinking, if it isn't too cost prohibitive, of just putting everyone on her food and consider it preventive maintenance...but I need to learn more about the percentages and if her food would be balanced for her, but unbalanced for the others.
h

1 - 20 of 21 Posts