Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if I need to put Lickorish on a diet. She seems a little chubby in the belly. (see attached photos) The vet didn't say anything about her weight, but she weighed 12.7 lbs at last vet visit.

Squeek on the other hand is quite fit at 10.6 lbs. Lickorish is slightly taller than Squeek. They eat about the same, but if I don't watch out, Squeek will steal Lickorish's food. I feed mostly grain free canned food. I think the difference is Squeek is more active, while Lickorish prefers to sleep in the walk-in closet all day and rarely leaves the top floor (we have 3 levels in our townhome). Neither kitty likes the living room, but Squeek runs from the bedroom level to the kitchen/dining/office level. I've had them 2 months now, and Lickorish is still nervous about my hubby.

I would prefer Lickorish to get more active. I try to make sure and play with both of them every day. They're not good at taking turns and have had a few cat collisions. I'd also like if they'd come down to the living room and play or watch tv with us, but maybe they need more time, or for summer to come and make the bedrooms too hot and the living room more inviting. Squeek will actually sit at the top of the stairs and meow at us to come up and pet her rather than come down.

She is 4 yo spayed female.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
It sounds like you are describing my boys perfectly! Cinnamon is in motion all day and will steal his brother's food if possible. Cracker likes to lay in the closet and just chill. As a result, Cracker is 12 lbs while Cin is 7.5, but they were litter mates.

You didnt say how old your kitty is, but he does look a little chunky to me. Then again, with those claws he's demonstrating there, I dont think I'd want to be the one telling him he's going on a diet! 8O From what I know, you should be able to see a waist from the top view and the belly go up from the side and be able to feel the bones easily, but not see them. He sure is cute though!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Are they only indoor kitties? Maybe you should cut down her food a little bit and stimulate her activities. it true some kitties are less playfull than others. do they play together sometimes?
Beautiful cat btw. i love black cats so much!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they only indoor kitties?
yes - indoor only

do they play together sometimes?
I hear them playing at night sometimes. I've seen it a few times.

Then again, with those claws he's demonstrating there, I dont think I'd want to be the one telling him he's going on a diet!
that pic was taken 3 weeks after trimming her claws..they were super long and curling under themselves when I got her. She just got another trim, and she was really unhappy about that!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I saw you feed grain free canned, but how much for each cat and how many times a day?

It's hard to convince cats to exercise more if they don't want to. The chubbier they are the less willing they are to move. My Azalia got up to almost 13 lbs at her heaviest and now looks and feels great at 10.25 lbs. We reduced the food gradually and fed them separately...no excuses for kitty to overeat. Gradually, she also became more active and able to groom herself better. At her heaviest, she couldn't reach her behind and would overheat in the Summer.

Once she became playful again, I would take out toys like Da Bird and the laser pointer that makes them move to have fun and do that for 15 minutes at least 1-2 times a day. After a few months, she was playing on her own with the other cats. It's been about a year and she's been able to maintain her new weight. She's like a whole different cat now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw you feed grain free canned, but how much for each cat and how many times a day?
One 5.5 oz can per day per cat, half in the morning and half in the evening, plus they can snack on kibble. They don't seem to eat any kibble during the day, but some does get eaten during night, not sure by who. Maybe I should stop the kibble but hubby is adament that since we bought a huge bag when we first got the cats he doesn't want it to go to waste. Only after that did I find out that kibble isn't so great for them.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Definitely get rid of the kibble and get a baby scale. You can always donate the kibble to a local cat shelter. It's important to monitor her weight so you know if she's losing and that it's not too fast.

If she doesn't lose a few ounces after the first couple of weeks on being canned only, you may need to switch to a less calorie dense food...not all canned is created equal, even among the non grain variety.

For example, EVO on average has over 200 calories per can while other foods like some Weruva varieties have about 100 calories per can. Read those labels.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will try to ditch the kibble, may have to convince hubby. He's gone to office and is not working from home today and now she and Sqeek are chasing each other...so still need to get her more comfortable with hubby so she'll come out of the closet and play when he is home. Thats an ongoing struggle. We've gotten to the point where he can approach and pet her and she doesn't hiss or run off, but she is still tense when he does it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would not base your weight loss goals on weight alone. My cats are heavy for their size, but it's all muscle mass. If the extra weight on your cat is fat, yeah, go to a grain free and carb free diet (cats do not need carbs-their bodies are built to use fat and protein as energy sources). Once you get rid of the carbs (which are a main source for obesity in cats), you will find that your cats will no longer have problems with their weight. Trust me. Mooch, before she gained her muscles, was a flabby kitty. Even though she lost the flab, she weighs more now than she did back then.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
got a scale now...Ultrascale MBSC-55 with a hold button. Tried to weigh the kitties yesterday, but hubby wasn't exactly on the ball with that button. Seems they both way 1/3 lb more than they did at the vet's office about a month ago, but could be a difference in the scales. Lickorish really didn't like being weighed and I had to try several times before we were able to get a good reading. She started crying and then was avoiding us the rest of the day:-(

Anyway, i took away the kibble, even though hubby still wants to leave it out. I got a bunch of grain-free canned food, but most of them still have some carbs, such as potato or brown rice. I'm giving 1 1/4 can each a day, plus some treats now and then. We'll see where they are next time we weigh.

Question is, how do I know what is healthy weight? Lickorish is longer/taller but has thinner limbs and smaller feet than Squeek. I'm starting to think Lickroish might have some siamese or other oriental in her ancestry due to how her meow sounds and some other behaviors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts