Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley responded beautifully to the chemo therapy last Thursday, 4/1/04. Along with that, I administer at home 5 meds every day through a feeding tube: carafate, amoxil, pepcid (yes pepcid), prednisone & dermcap. For nourishment he is getting 25 mls 6 times a day of Clinicare (Ensure for humans). But he's still not eating regular cat food. I was hoping that he would start eating even a little of the cat food and/or water. He wants to but just looks and sniffs the bowl(s). He doesn't appear to be in any pain nor suffering. In fact, he's got a little more spring to his step, is more alert and is back to cuddling with us.

Dr. if you read this, should I be concerned that he's not interested in eating any cat food yet? He's been on the medication since 3/30 and started his first round of chemo on 4/1. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Since Harley's got a feeding tube, he doesn't have to be interested in food. Why should he be hungry when his tummy is being filled up quite nicely without any effort on his part? :wink:

I've seen cats with feeding tubes go weeks to months without showing interest in food at all, yet go on to recover completely. You've got the right idea, watching his mood, energy and behavior, for a more accurate idea of how he's feeling. Go with that!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you

Oh yes, I'm MA kitty and Harley is such a love. Thank you Jeannie for your warm wishes and support. Your encouragement is so important to me. Bless you!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

...your reply is so helpful. You're right, it makes sense now. I guess I was expecting him to have a voracious appetite because of the prednisone. I won't be such a neuro case now.

Just one other question: Is it normal for him to still throw up liquid and foam? Looks like there is a tinge of blood in there. He has another chemo treatment next Thursday, April 8.

This forum is a God send, I tell you! Thanks for being there, Dr. Jean.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Re the vomiting; please check with the oncologist. Given chemo's mode of action, it's probably an expected side effect, but it's not something I ever deal with so you should ask the expert!

I'm very glad to be of help--my prayers are with you!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Me too, MA.

Best wishes! We will be thinking about you and Harley. It warms my heart that you are doing everything you can for your kitty - its just wonderful to see.

May the Universe bless you both with the strength to get through it.

~Tanya

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
It certainly does warm the heart, as Tanyuh said. Love, pure, unselfish, unconditional love! God bless you, guide the vet, and touch Harley with His healing hand.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I'm glad to hear Harley is doing well. As for the food, since my cat Sugar got hip surgery, she just sniffs the canned food and doesn't even eat the dry food. What I do is put the wet food in my hand and hand feed it to her in her face and she will then eat it. So maybe you can try that also, if you aren't getting nourishment inside of her otherwise. Good luck :!:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello all,
Its now been 3 weeks since I've last updated. I actually had been updating under a different subject line "cat cancer" which is my fault for the duplicity and confusing. But in short...Harley had the last of this chemo this week and it has been already a month. Can you believe how time flies. And I'm happy to report he is on his way to recovery. He's eating now on his own (no feed tube), he's down to 1 medicine 2 times a day instead of 6 different ones every day, he's got his energy, gained 7 oz ( he lost 4 pounds in about 2 months), and his lovable personality back. The only thing for this week Harley is experiencing are side effects from this week's chemo. He didn't show any in any of the last 3 treatments but he is throwing up now and then, lost a little fur on his nose, and little less energetic this time around than compared to earlier. His fur not is not a as healthy looking yet.

Thank you all again for your support and concern. I really needed it so much.

Any further updates will be made under "cat cancer" as now we begin a maintenance program for Harley.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm glad to hear his progress is good. I'll look for news on the other thread. Anyone who wants updates can click under a post. There is a place to click that you want to watch the forum. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts