Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a ten month old male cat named Watson. He is neutered and is very sociable and loves to be around people. He follows us around the house and is always willing to play. We recently decided to get a second cat, not only for ourselves but also to give Watson a playmate since he is so friendly and active.

We adopted a (about) three month old female kitten named Noriko ("Nori"). She has been spayed, but it was shortly before we adopted her because her tummy hair is still growing in.

When we first brought her home, we tried to divide her and Watson up to make sure she was comfortable. Both cats began pawing at the door trying desperately to meet each other, so we let them interact for a little bit. There was not much hissing, mostly just some low growls. We let them interact for short periods of time and always supervised. But, the longer they interacted the more "aggressive" it seemed to get. They would do the normal "bop" thing, but Watson started to chase her around the house and grab her hips with his front paws and then act like he was going to mate with her - he would bite her neck and kick her with his back paws and then she would meow (once or twice in a very loud pained sounding way - which we immediately broke up). Then he would lick her fervently and let her go, then chase her again. She eventually ends up hiding under the bed. He has never behaved in a sexual manner before.

We decided to try the methods I have read about here and on other sites to make sure they aren't being introduced too fast. I have now been keeping them in separate rooms and then will switch them, I feed them on opposite sides of the door, and I have let him inspect her while she is in a crate (though I hear this is debated). They do not hiss at each other. All she does is let out a low growl and will at times meow at him. They like to hit each others paws under the door and when I open it up a crack.

My only concern is that he doesn't show aggression towards her except for the seemingly violent mounting - I say violent just because it seems to hurt/upset her at times (it looks like he is biting her very hard), although there have been no wounds. I don't want to introduce them too fast, especially because she is so little and he is fairly large and strong, but I'm also wondering if they need to spend more time together so that he can assert his dominance and get it over with.

She is a very well-adjusted kitten, and they both act completely normal on their own and still use the litter, eat, etc. When they first met he even allowed her to eat out of his bowl while he stood and watched!

My other concern is that there is a stray un-fixed male that comes into our backyard and taunts Watson through our screened porch. Could this be causing part of the sexual dominance that Watson is displaying? We want to see if it has an owner and get it fixed ASAP.

Thank you for any help you can give me! Sorry this was so long, I just wanted to give all the details. I'm sure they will end up being fine, it's just hard to see him "mount" her in such an aggressive way and then watch her be upset and hear her loud cries.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is there actually blood/proof that he's biting her hard or is it just her cries? Because my kittens will play relatively hard with each other (take turns chasing, wrestling and biting one another) and the female always whines about it, even though the male isn't really actually hurting her.

I'm not an expert, far from that, but those sound like dominance issues to me.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
I'm not sure if redirected aggression can be sexual or not. I mean, I see what you're saying, maybe Watson is saying, she's mine, not yours. But I'm not sure that cats think that way.

I'll move this thread to Behavior where you'll get more responses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There hasn't been much proof that he's biting her hard beyond the fact that sometimes it looks like a single bite-down, but other times it's rapid fire and very hard looking. Only twice has she made loud howling noises. Otherwise she growls or makes no noises.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Altho it seems he hasn't drawn blood when biting her neck to pin her down, he doesn't sound like a "gentleman" but does sound overly aggressive, and she doesn't like it and it seems he is hurting her as she's howling and running away and hiding---not a good sign. Is he also penetrating her with his penis? This is very painful for females as the penis has backward-facing barbs on it. So he could definitely be hurting such a young kitten. I would only let them be together under your strict supervision. Put a harness and long leash on him, don't let him mount her. Don't yank him around, but if he tries to mount say a stern "No!" to him. Distract him with some interactive play instead. She's too young and he's too strong to let him have his way with her. When she's around 11-12 months old, she should be able to fend him off, and by that time he may not be inclined to mount her. When he is behaving well with her near by, reward with treats and praise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an update about Watson and Nori!

First off, I don't know that he was truly mounting her, because he didn't look like he was actually trying to simulate mating. He would just pin her down and bite at her neck, but he never was "humping" her.

My husband and I gave them two days of eating on opposite sides of the door, switching rooms, etc. But since there has been no hissing or spitting and they seem to want to meet each other, we let them have supervised time.

At first he would catch her at any opportunity he got. We let them be unless she let out a cry of pain or if it went on too long, in which case I sprayed an air cannister into the air. Watson doesn't like the noise and he stops as soon as he hears it. If Watson pins Nori down, Watson stops and licks her if she stays still, but if she fights back he starts biting at her. Is this him teaching her he's dominant?

Tonight I let them have more time together because they were begging at the door to meet. No hissing or anything, just curious chirps and rumbles. She must be getting more brave. I haven't had to use the air cannister yet. Both are running around with their ears perked up. He will crouch down and shake his butt, then bolt after her. She runs away and hides under something, and then when Watson isn't looking Nori jumps out and scares the crap out of him (he jumps a foot in the air, all four paws out). Then he chases her and she runs away. Neither of them act afraid of each other and she instigates sometimes. When he can't find her if she's hiding he runs around looking concerned and makes curious noises.

I still am monitoring them because he could easily try to put her in her place again, but he hasn't at all this play session.

So do you guys think his behavior is more him asserting his dominance than anything? I'm much more hopeful that in a few weeks they will be fine with each other. Though I'm still putting her in a room by herself during the day because I don't trust him with her yet. But he is acting normal towards my husband and I, much more affectionate, and she never seems scared. She's always willing to be petted and socialize.

yay!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yay! sounds good.

Is the unfixed male still hanging around or did he wander off? If he was spraying around the area, yes he could have been stimulating the neutered male into mounting. Your male is still pretty much a teenager and probably just didn't know how to handle it, let alone know how to mount a female. Basically it was too much to handle and he took it out on the female it sounds like But hopefully he is past that.

Isn't it fun to see them jump straight up all paws out as they play? Glad the Intro is smoothing out for you.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Yes it sounds like he's just trying to be dominant. The fact that she's jumping out at him and then running off is just play....."boo! see if you can find me!" It's all good, but you're still wise to keep them separated when you can't supervise until she gets a little bigger and braver. Good update!

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
On my way out the door this morning I looked up to the window and saw MowMow on top of Shepherd Book the same way. Not humping, just holding him down.

It SEEMS to me that everytime Book gets a bit 'uppity' MOwMow does this. This morning I was feeding MOwMOw (who always gets his food first) and Book pushed him out of the way to try and eat his food. MowMOw slapped him but Book kept persisting until I stepped him and shooed him away.

The last time i was home and witnessed MowMOw pinning him down it was shortly after Book tumbled him in a run by attack off the back of the couch.

As long as there is no blood and no LOUD screaming or painful crying (there hasn't been yet) then I leave them to work it out on their own.

(Note: If I thought there was any ..penetration... I'd step in and have to keep them separated)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts