Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cat is ten years old and a week ago he began vomiting almost on a daily basis, sometimes projectile vomiting, and is extremely thirsty. He can have a meal at 6 a.m. but throw it up at 2 pm with parts still not digested.

He still has an appetite but he doesn’t eat as much at one time. After he eats, he will go in the other room and just sit there, motionless, as if something is bothering him. He has also lost weight, probably due to not being able to hold food and lack of food volume.

He sees the vet later this morning for blood work.

He has always been a frequent water drinker, but the last week, it’s been a huge difference, a frequent intake of water for him. His frequency of peeing hasn’t changed. I haven’t noticed an increase in the times he pees.

He isn’t overweight, by the way. Like I said, he’s dropped weight in the last ten days.

I’m scared because I once had a cat that had a similar problem and they found a tumor near the heart and the cat didn’t come back home with me. :(

Maybe it’s a virus.
Diabetes?
Kidneys.
A few months ago he killed two mice that got in the house. Did he pick up something?

Very scared.
:frown2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Awaiting blood test results.
CBC/Comprehensive
Thyroid profile

He needed SQ fluids.
Home now and he actually groomed himself. Haven’t seen that in days says.

Praying it’s not kidneys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I got the news.....Renal Failure. BUN high.

She said to take him to this clinic where he will get fluids overnight and then we can treat him with diet and etc.

she said if you do that he likely has “many years”

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

The most important thing I learned today is “renal failure” in cats doesn’t necessarily mean instant death, far from it, provided the cat is monitored and given the care.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Hi dalemanyzeros1,

I'm so sorry for the diagnosis. Don't think of it as renal failure but chronic kidney disease; many cats live a very long time with it, especially when diagnosed and treated early. I do really strongly recommend that you read the overview information on the website catloverami linked to above and that you join the support group as well. I got great advice, but by the time I joined the group, my kitty's CKD was stage 4, and we were limited in treatment options.

There are members who have way more experience and who are far more up-to-date on current protocols regarding CKD than most vets. They are also more proactive.

Will you be giving subQ fluids at home, or is your kitty not at that point yet? It's really one of the most crucial elements in keeping those kidney values low. The other is a prescription renal diet, but if kitty won't eat it (most won't), there are other food options.

What's your kitty's name?

Hope to see you over at the support group as well as here! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chappie (Chaplin, named after the filmmaker).

He was just diagnosed today and he goes into the hospital tomorrow, overnight due to dehydration.

He then begins his regimen, which I don’t know yet what it is.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I'm sorry Chappie's got to go to the hospital. I guess they're doing IV fluids.

The good news was that he was grooming after getting the subQ fluids, so he should be feeling a lot better after more at the hospital. IV fluids are often done for several days; I'm sure they'll be charting his BUN and creatinine. They should come down, though it might not be right away.

Head scratches to your little guy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

The vet phoned and said Chappie has improved since the IV fluids. He had an appetite, ate a lot and didn’t throw up.

She did say, though, that he has bad kidney disease :( . When he came in his creatinine was 9.0 but since fluids he is at 7.5, and they want to see if one more night in the facility with an IV can get that number even better.

The doctor said the more IV fluids now, the better chance he has for more years to live. So he’s staying overnight again. Once he’s home, it will be up to us to give him the treatment he needs to keep those numbers level.

I guess this routine sounds familiar to many of you with this issue.

Dale

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Hi Dale,

I think it's a great idea to keep him there and get him more IV fluids.

Sometimes, CKD kitties "crash," they get severely dehydrated, and those numbers skyrocket. But then once they're through it and properly hydrated, those numbers go way down, so while the current numbers may look very bad, I think there's a pretty good chance that Chappie's CKD is not as far along as the numbers suggest, especially since he wasn't really showing symptoms until a week ago.

Keep us posted on how he's doing! If you have a chance to go to the hospital to visit him, you might bring a piece of your clothing, or one of his favorite toys. He'd probably find it reassuring to have something from home. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update after Chappie’s second night in ER for IV fluids....

The weekend vet said Chappie is doing good. He was brutally honest with me, though.

When Chappie was brought in his creatinine was. 9.0.
After one night in came down to an 8.
Now the vet tells me it’s only at a 7.
The vet said I think “it will likely plateau at that. His kidneys aren’t functioning properly.”

I said, let’s give him one more overnight of IV fluids and I will bring him home Sunday.

The vet said “the prognosis is not good. You will take him home and do the treatments and in 3 weeks you will be back where you started, throwing up due to acid, etc.

Really saddened.
:(

I will post the test results when he emails them to me.
Dale

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Hi Dale,

I haven't been around much either here or on the support group over the past week, but I believe Chappie's still hanging in there? I'll bet those numbers have come down more.

As you've already gotten tons of information and great advice, I'll just say that based on my experience, you should always take what an ER vet says with a grain of salt. I had a regular vet years ago who used to be an ER vet, and various kitties have seen 3 different emergency vets here in the past few years. What I've found is that they seem to have a fundamentally different perspective from that of regular vets. I think they're so used to seeing dire cases that they tend to go right to the worst-case scenarios. The first couple of times we went to the vet who used to be an ER vet, I was in a panic. If kitty wasn't eating, the first thing he'd throw out was well, it could be a tumor. And it would turn out to be constipation. I really liked him, but emergency vets don't seem as knowledgeable about the more mundane, and much more common, kitty ailments. This vet had never heard of pheromone diffusers, for example (he eventually went back to being an ER vet).

·
Banned
13 Posts
Hi Dale, I hope Chappie is feeling better!

I’m sure this advice has already been given, but just incase, here are a few things that really helped extend the quality of life for my CKD kitty... 1) I gave him fluids everyday, which both of us eventually got used to. To keep expenses down, I was able to pick up cases of sub-q fluid bags (12, 1liter bags) for around $40. I called around to all the local pharmacies until I found a specialty pharmacy that was able to order it at a low cost. The tubes and needles I could order for cheap online. (2) Wet food diet only, low in phosphorus. Tanya’s guide was the best resource online for finding these foods. (3) when he lost his appetite, a little Pepcid A/C helped calm his stomach down... when that didn’t work, the pill form of Cerenia was literally a life-saver. Obviously this was given after consulting with our vet, but it took a long time before the vet eventually suggested these solutions, so I hope knowing about these options beforehand could be helpful to you.

Anyhoo, there’s always going to be a point where you’ve done all you can and kitty is spending more time feeling sick than being a kitty, but hopefully you will be able to use everyone’s suggestions to keep Chappie feeling like a kitty for a good while longer 🙂 My cat was diagnosed around age 11 and I was blessed with his company for another 7 years. 🙂 Sending my best to you and Chappie!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts