Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My cat Jasper is 11 years old and within the last week or two he has started peeing in the weirdest places. In corners, on piles of laundry, then tonight, right in the middle of the bed on the comforter! I don't know if it's a behavioral thing (we just moved and have had alot of stress in our new home) or if it's a medical problem. I've been treating it like it's behavioral, like keeping the box super-clean, giving him a more private place to go etc, but it's not helping. I won't be able to get him to the vet until next week and so in the meantime, I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else had had simliar problems with their cats and what they did about them.

Thanks so much,
Tracy

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tracy, it's always best to rule out a medical problem first so if you can try and get a urine sample from your cat or bring him to the vet. If you find that he's perfectly healthy you then can try and work on the behavioral end of it.

To get a urine sample from a cat isn't easy but sometimes this will work. Instead of putting his regular litter in his litter box, rip up a few shreds of newspaper and put them in his box and collect the urine in a cup or if you happen to have an old needle less syringe laying around, they work well too. Don't put too much paper in so it absorbs the urine, but just enough so he feels like he's covering his business.

Hopefully there's nothing serious going and it's due to the fact that you've moved into a new house but at his age and being a male you want to rule out any infections, kidney or stone troubles first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Jessica. I'm going to take Jasper to the vet asap and try to get a urine sample in the meantime. That's a great idea and I'm sure it would help the vet if I had a ready-made sample to bring in with me.

I'm crossing my fingers that he's okay---after 11 years together I just can't imagine my life without him. (and of course, being a cat mom, I'm panicking already, imagining the worst. lol)

Take care and thanks again for your help!
Tracy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts