Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, "take him to a vet" but since I can't see any other symptoms: normal apetite, normal thirst, no blood, no meowing/biting/hissing, same energy...

One thing that worries me though: since a month ago or so he suddenly stopped urinating around the house and this has been an issue for years. Because we adopted him from an elderly lady who passed away and she had never neutered him, so we took him to a vet but he didn't want to do it because as an old cat there is some health risk.

I'd say he had also decreased his energy, not playing often but I take it this is due to old age? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
27,172 Posts
The title is about sleeping in the litter box, but not addressed in your post. When my twins were kittens, they each went through a phase where they liked to sleep in the litter box, but it didn't last long. I usually distracted them with toys, you definitely don't want to scold them, because they may avoid the litter box altogether.

I would say a decrease in energy may be due to him getting older. Every cat is different. My girls are 16 & 17 years old and still go into rocketbutt mode sometimes. But they have stopped jumping on counters and tables.

I would keep an eye on him to look for other changes.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
What do you mean? He stopped urinating around the house. Was he peeing all over the house or do you mean outside in the yard? So, is he urinating in the litter box, now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies...well he just "did" it but pooping not peeing, so I assume it must've been serious constipation? Which is a far better option that acute kidney injury which can be deadly...I still can't figure out if he is peeing though - it seems not but at least he is not doing the weird sleeping in the litter thing as of this moment, right now.

I will be keeping eye on him and if I can't figure out in the next 10-12 hours if he is peeing will take him to a vet knowing how dangerous this can be. Good luck to your cats too :).

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Sounds good. Thank You

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick follow up, I bought both wet and dry food from purina especially for urinary issues, I've done it before over the years of course but now it says "10 times better results" or whatever...I finally determined that he's peeing but it seems 2 or even once per 24 hours. Could be retention due to diabetes...will take him to a vet later just for a regular inspection.

·
Super Moderator
27,172 Posts
Good luck and please let us know how he's doing.

Reactions: gggcat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Small update (OK I try to keep it as short as possible...):

I took him to a vet yesterday, he said it's likely cystitis but still not as bad as to need a catheter, he prescribed antibiotic I bought it (amoxicillin - OK this was the "2nd option" but of course the pharmacy didn't have the better option so i bought this one, plus it's cheaper).

He was able to do "the job" earlier today but hasn't ever since and it's now a bit worrying that he sleeps the whole day in the litter box - yet his appetite is normal, I've called a family member to look after him the whole day while I'm at work this Monday - we discussed if his appetite stops for 8+ hours or he isn't using the litter for 10+ hours we'll take him to another vet since this one isn't the best one so to speak (it took him literally 3 hours trying to determine if his bladder is full and the doctor's age is 25 maybe or less). I live in eastern europe btw. and here hospital services are awfull...my both gradparents died last year after hospital negligence and their dog years prior for similar reasons.

Thank you and good luck to your cats too :). A cysitis should cure in the upcoming days, will keep posted with news after a couple of days...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so for the time being it all looks fine :). We had to stop the antibiotic on the 2nd day since he developed a very noticable diarrhea and knowing how powerful antibiotics are I thought it's a good idea to stop meanwhile bottled-sweat water was substituted with "Tap water" since like I said i live in eastern europe where the water quality is literally cancerous. He also stopped sleeping in the litterbox, could've been just boredom idk! But thirst/peeing/apetite/temperature all seems OK. Good luck to your cats too and someone pm me if I can help with something -).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts