Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would love some advice on our new kittens odd behavior!

We have had Princess for four days now, she is approximately 12-14 weeks old. She is a ragdoll X. The previous owners did not want her anymore and they said their dog wanted to kill her so I decided to take her. She was badly flea infested when we got her home, I gave her a flea bath and flea treatment and theres no sign of fleas now, and she had worm medicine (next dose in 6 days). She was skinny and starving and constipated when we got her home, but she is now eating well and plumped up already.

She used the litter box as soon as I let her out of her cage when we arrived home. She loves cuddles and always wants to be picked up like a baby, and follows me everywhere. She has her own room (to sleep in at night) that she shares with the love bird. Her first day here, she was very interested in him and wanted to climb on his cage. I figured he would nip her through the bars and teach her the lesson that birds in cages are to be left alone (it worked with my last cat, she became terrified of birds). The morning after her first night here, I went to let Princess out of her room. She greeted me at the door happily then the bird chirruped his greeting, and she looked behind her at the birdcage and puffed her tail up. I think maybe the bird did nip her during the night /morning? Anyway she had lost all interest and curiosity in the bird after her first night here. The morning after the second night, I opened the door and there Princess was on top of the bird cage, and there was kitty poop all over the cage, down the wall next to the cage, in the birds water, on the birds perch! I was shocked. She had been using her litter tray so well up until now. I cleaned the bird cage and took it off the stand and hung it from the ceiling out of reach. The NEXT morning, I opened the door to her room and there was cat poop on the mat at the back door, right next to her litter tray. I've been cleaning her tray every day so I don't understand why she isn't using it now. I put another smaller litter tray (her old one that her previous owners gave me) next to the big one, in hopes that she will use it. Does anyone have any enlightening advice in regard to her behavior?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I think Princess is trying to tell you she wants the room to herself, and doesn't want to share with a bird. Can you put the bird somewhere else at night?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sharing sleeping space with a bird would stress most cats out (especially being closed in with a bird at night in a new home). I can't even imagine how much my cats would detest it. Perhaps your old cat was the rare exception, and Princess is more of a normal cat?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I guess I'll have to make some space in the laundry for the cage. Princess hasn't done anything odd since though so maybe she is getting used to the bird. I have to say though, it was pretty amusing. When my partner got home from work and I told him, he had a bit of a laugh. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts