Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I adopted by kitten when he was 10 weeks old from a kitten rescue place. At that point, he had been neutered, dewormed, tested negative for FIV & FeLV, and was up-to-date on his vaccinations. He has had nothing but diarrhea since I got him. At first, I thought it was because he was just nervous in a new environment. I took him to a vet after having him for a week to get the next round of his vaccinations, and also to ask about the diarrhea. The vet did a fecal test and it came up negative for parasites, but he still sent me home with metronidazole. The metronidazole didn't get rid of the diarrhea (but I think it did make it less smelly), so I took him back to the vet and the second fecal test also came up negative for parasites, but he sent me home with Algon and Panacur. He also gave me more metronidazole to continue that treatment. He is now done with the metronidazole as well as the Panacur. Tonight I will give him his last dose of Algon. He still has diarrhea. I know that one of the side effects of Algon is diarrhea anyway, so I'm not sure if he is still sick or if it's the Algon causing him to still have diarrhea.

Also, the rescue center had him on Purina dry food, so I continued that for a while, but I have JUST started slowly switching him to Wellness brand (a combination of dry and wet). So, switching him is not the issue, but I guess it could have been that Purina didn't agree with his tummy.

Does anybody have any ideas on what else it could be???

He is very playful and full of energy. Vet said there are no signs of dehydration.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
With all the antibiotics your kitten's been taking, it's a pretty good bet that his beneficial gut bacteria has been wiped out. That can cause diarrhea to persist. I recommend you buy a good probiotic, either at a pet store or health food store, and sprinkle a little into his canned food once daily for the next couple of weeks to help replenish that necessary gut flora.

Laurie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts