Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appointment to get me kitten neutered when he is 15 weeks old. I had a couple of questions:

1 - Is 15 weeks to young to neuter a cat?

2 - They said the cat will have to be left for a couple of hours and they will house it in a cage. Is there a chance the kitten can catch fleas or some disease sitting in that cage?

3 - I was told that neutering a kitten at 15 weeks will keep the kitten from getting full sized. It has something to do with cutting off the testosterone from accelerating the cats growth. The kitten will grow but just not as large. Is that true?

4- What thing should I look out for in regards to the surgery?

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
15 weeks old is very safe. Most rescues have the 2/2 guideline now - 2 months old and at least 2 lbs. My girls were spayed at 9 weeks old, and they were running and chasing each other the same night.

The thing about hindering a male cat's growth, old wives' tale, I think. I don't know that much about boy kitties, but I'm sure some of our big boy cats on the Forum were neutered at a young age and grew just fine. :grin:

I worried about Gigi coming home with fleas after her dental appointment, but - at least at my vet's office - they don't put the cats in cages next to each other, so there's very little chance of cats bringing something home.

But we all worry about our babies. :patback

·
Registered
98 Posts
From a behavioral standpoint, I think kittens should stay with mom till 16 weeks. But medically it is just fine to get them neutered at this age, as Marie said. My vet even offers a discount if the pet is getting neutered/spayed at 4months or younger :)

Also, a pet can pick up fleas from practically anywhere (they can even hitch a ride into your house on your shoe!). I work at a vet and we keep everything very very clean, and the treatment area (pets recovering from surgery) is separate from any other pets in the facility. Do they give tours of their facilities? You could check it out in advance to make sure it looks sanitary and is not around other animals.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have an appointment to get me kitten neutered when he is 15 weeks old. I had a couple of questions:

1 - Is 15 weeks to young to neuter a cat?
Nope. As everyone else has said he'll be just fine.

2 - They said the cat will have to be left for a couple of hours and they will house it in a cage. Is there a chance the kitten can catch fleas or some disease sitting in that cage?
It's possible. NJGroomer gave some great advise for that though, nothing to add.

3 - I was told that neutering a kitten at 15 weeks will keep the kitten from getting full sized. It has something to do with cutting off the testosterone from accelerating the cats growth. The kitten will grow but just not as large. Is that true?
Not True. Early neutering in SOME large breeds of DOG can have negative effects. For cats it's not even an issue.

4- What thing should I look out for in regards to the surgery?
Once you've brought him home he might be a bit groggy that night. His appetite might be reduced. The next day my boys were mostly fine. They didn't do to many big jumps or lots of running for about a week. But they were fine overall.

Don't let him lick the area. That could cause an infection or irritation. Check the suture site a few times a day, if it looks red and 'angry' (inflamed, sore, ect) phone your vet. If there's any discharge or quite a bit of blood phone the vet. That's about it. I put out ice packs with towels over them and the boys quite enjoyed sitting on it that night, lol. He'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yoshi just had his neutering on Tuesday. He's older though....about 5.5 months.

He was crazy playful from the time I brought him home from the vet, all that night, all through the night, and into the morning hours. He was also starving the entire time and I fed him in small meals. Then he crashed and burned later the next morning and slept most of the day.

Maybe it was the drugs??
I guess it all depends.....but regardless, good luck with your little one!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Francis was neutered at the age of 1. Basically when my sister first got him. Like Library chick said, he wasn't allowed to lick the area that he was neutered. Now he's fine and disease free! =D All three cats are disease free! =D

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
My 2 were neutered and spayed at 15 wks. Both my Devons are not undersized, if anything larger than "average" for the breed. My boy weighs 12.5 lbs. (avg. 8-9 lbs.), and my girl is 11.5 lbs. Early neutering especially for the boys I think solves a lot of spraying problems.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yoshi just had his neutering on Tuesday. He's older though....about 5.5 months.

He was crazy playful from the time I brought him home from the vet, all that night, all through the night, and into the morning hours. He was also starving the entire time and I fed him in small meals. Then he crashed and burned later the next morning and slept most of the day.

Maybe it was the drugs??
I guess it all depends.....but regardless, good luck with your little one!
I neutered Rocky when he was 5 1/2 months as well. Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason as to why you waited until he was that old? I've read both sides of the spectrum, early neutering is good vs you should wait until they're around 5 1/2 months old. There are just so many opinions out there on the matter, it's hard to decide which way to go!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Rulos was neutered last Friday. We think he was born around the last week of February this year, so he must be 16 weeks now, maybe 15 just as your kitty. He was running all over the place that same night. He's perfectly fine now. :wink

I had to wait this long because he was a very weak kitten, runt of the litter.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I neutered Rocky when he was 5 1/2 months as well. Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason as to why you waited until he was that old? I've read both sides of the spectrum, early neutering is good vs you should wait until they're around 5 1/2 months old. There are just so many opinions out there on the matter, it's hard to decide which way to go!
The breeder recommended 6-7 months, and our vet recommended 5-6 months (or vice versa, can't remember). So we decided to get it done somewhere in between.
There was no reason to neuter him early, as he's indoor only w/ no other cats, and he never sprayed.

Also, I was reading Dr. Jean Hofve's book The Complete Guide to Holistic Cat Care and she states,
"Given the option, waiting until they are more mature, at four to six months, works well. Initial studies showed that there were no long-term effects from eight-week spay or neuter, but this is not clear any more. We especially prefer to wait with males until their urinary tracts are more developed, to prevent later litter box problems and urinary blockage."

·
Registered
412 Posts
My Gabriel was neutered at about 12 weeks and was about 9-10lbs which is a decent size for his breed. Pedro was neutered at about 15-16 weeks and is almost 14 lbs and our vet expects he'll be 15-16 lbs full grown.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't neutering also help curtail some aggression in the cat? Male cats that are neutered tend to be more "mellow" while tom cats are anything but.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He had the surgery today. They gave him that huge collar to wear but he pulled it off. I tried putting it on again but even with it on he can't even drink or eat with it on. It's ridiculous.

The vet said that if he licks the incision area it will get infected. How on earth am I to prevent him from licking the area?

:?:

·
Registered
514 Posts
The collar didn't work for Yoshi either. He was really good about not licking it the first day, but started to the second day. I worked from home that day and just watched him like a hawk and distracted him when he would start licking.

Apparently the inflatable collars work better, but I didn't know that at the time.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Cody was neutered last week at 17 weeks. He was a little groggy when he came home but was running around that night and eating and using the litterbox. He wasn't coned and did lick occasionally and it looked a tiny bit bloody, and I was concerned about his level of activity but I couldn't calm him down cause he was looking for aster who was in the bedroom since she got spayed and they needed to stay separate. The vet said to contact him if there was excessive licking or bleeding, which is subjective I know. Cody did not lick much anymore the following day and the bleeding stopped and it seems to be healing just fine now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts