Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16yo Pete and I lost lifelong housemate this week

I personally don't ever want to be without a loving cat, so when I lose Pete I will be alone and I won't handle it well. Pete seems very healthy and active for his age so my questions are:

1. when should i consider introducing a new adopted cat

2. what age cat fitting best with 16yo Pete who has always been alpha in a 2 cat home (fred) but always in a very non-aggressive way. I do not want to upset Pete and his happyness but I got a feeling he can live even with a kitten maybe a mellow older cat even?

3 whats a short and sweet way to do intro of this magnitude..a senior but active male cat who I'm predicting will easy adjust (fingerscrossed)

btw..Pete is a dry food (red orijen) ..can this be a problem?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
My suggestion for an active senior cat who is an "alpha" would be to get a laid back mellow female kitten, or possibly a very laid back mid-age female who has lived peaceably in a home with other cats.

Here's a couple of links on cat to cat intros:
https://www.calgaryhumane.ca/cat-to-cat-introduction-tips/

Cat-to-Cat Introductions ? Little Big Cat

As for feeding dry food.....usually the problem is cats don't drink enough water, and also dry food can be fattening and you really need to control the amount as a lot of cats will overeat and get obese.

Here's a good link on cat nutrition: https://catinfo.org/

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don’t have an answer for when to get a new cat or age of new one.

I would like to address the dry cat food “problem” which has never been a problem for us. We have 2 senior cats who won’t eat wet food...yes, we’ve gone through this many times. We feed Orijen original red and we have had best luck with it. Price is outrageous, but they both like it, their coats glisten and they do great. We do, however, strictly monitor how much they get fed so they have never been overweight. They are allowed to graze at will but I never exceed their recommended daily allotment of food. As to water intake, we have their water out at all times. They prefer ice cubes be added in the morning, before bed at night and maybe once during the day. They both drink a lot of water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts