Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of a complicated situation, but my 18 yr old female tortie needs dental work........How this all started out was she started not eating her regular pate style food.......Took to vet and he said she had some tartar build-up and gingivitis, but no abcesses/ infection was present.....He said she's not a good candidate for surgery.

Frankly, I agree that she's not a good candidate for surgery, simply because of her age....Vet says that surgery on a cat of her age has a high mortality rate......I even went to another vet for second opinion, and she said basically the same thing.

I have tried many non-pate style wet foods, and have found that all she will eat is Fancy Feast Foods with gravy on them....She eats those pretty well.......She used to eat Wellness and Merrick canned pates, before this happened with her teeth/mouth.

I know the gravy foods aren't the best for her, but if that is all she can eat, I am basically throwing up my hands and feeding it to her.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions about this?

·
Super Moderator
26,738 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "surgery" - do you mean putting her under sedation for teeth cleaning?

At her age, I would feed her whatever she will eat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
At that age, I would feed whatever they want. I use a dental powder, either proden or mad about organics, that softens plaque and helps keep more from building. It's a sprinkle that can be mixed into the wet food. It really helped my persian mix. I get the fancy feast pate and mix with a bit of warm water to make a "gravy" of sorts. My 5yr old won't eat anything but pate and loves gravy. I don't want him eating that much wheat gluten since it causes urinary issues in boys, so we compromise. Cats don't chew their food like dogs do, they slice larger bits into smaller ones that can be swallowed whole easily.
I would take care of any active infection with antibiotics and use a water additive for plaque and food additive then feed whatever she wants.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by "surgery" - do you mean putting her under sedation for teeth cleaning?

At her age, I would feed her whatever she will eat.
Yes, by "surgery" I meant putting under anesthetic for dental work...
I agree that due to her advanced age, I should just feed her what she wants......Eating something certainly is better than nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip about the dental powder!!--can I order it online?.....I'm not crazy about giving her the gravy foods, although she has never had any urinary issues....I've had her since 8 weeks old......She had a complete exam, with both vets I consulted, and there is no active infection going on right now, but her breath is horrible.

She will let me look at her teeth, and if I see anything changing, will go to vet ASAP.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah. I get it off Amazon or chewy. Females aren't as prone to urinary issues as males. I use the powder and water additive for my boys. My 5yr old gets urinary issues when stressed but has great teeth. He loves chewing, like a puppy, so got him cat twigs also. My 4yr old is a persian mix, so he genetically has bad teeth. He also loves the twigs. All this helps me stay ahead of his teeth. I brush them and scale them, but I've been trained to do it properly.
They're now snubbing their raw diet which is what keeps the plaque from forming in the first place and now my youngest has "death breath" again from the carbs in the commercial food. All we can do is make sure they're loving their best life. I hope mine live to be 18 one day. You sound like you're doing what's best for your baby.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to order some of the dental powder today.....That's fortunate that your kitties like to chew....My cat, Joanie, still likes her scratching post sometimes, but her favorite activity now is mostly napping on my bed.....She sleeps in my bed at night, too.

I hate all the carbs in these gravy foods.....I know too many carbs aren't the greatest for cats, but what else can I do at her age?......Doing the best I can for her, she is my sweetie for such a long time now.......I'll bet your kitties will live a long life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's not the best food but Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers saved my cat's life after extensive dental surgery to repair injuries from a dog attack.
It was the only canned food he would eat until he was well enough for dry food again.
Better your kitty eat something than nothing at all. Best of luck!

·
Registered
Andy- 4 year-old male Tabby, Bugsy- 6 year-old male Bombay/Manx mix
147 Posts
Each time we had to have a dental cleaning (or teeth removal) on our cats they had to undergo anesthesia. An 18 year-old cat will most likely survive that. However, gum disease can lead to renal failure in cats so doing anything you can to repair the damage is warranted.

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
80 Posts
Ask your vet for preanaesthetic bloods. It will give you an idea on everything is running inside your boy, and help you decide if he can undergo the procedure safely.

My 17 year old cat had the same problem and we went ahead with the dental after his blood came back fine. He bounced back no worries and was much happier. Lucky outcome for us, but don't completely dismiss the procedure just yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts