Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I need help! My cat Daisy is 19 years old. She has lost the small teeth in the front of her mouth. Daisy has not been eating as much as she normally would in a while. She has completely stopped eating dry food. Now she only licks at canned food. We have tried all kinds of adult and senior formula kinds of food. She just wont eat it. I have also tried giving her Catsip-that milk that cats can digest -she lapped up a little bit of it once but that was about it. About 6 months ago, Daisy weighed 7 pounds. She is now down to 5. I can see her spine! We took Daisy to the vet last week. The vet took a blood sample and is going to let us know of any further problems in the next couple of days. Is there anything we can give Daisy that she can eat? I can tell that she is hungry, and she tries to eat. She just can't. My cat is wasting away, please help!!!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Try calling the Vet in the morning first thing for those bloodwork results. Often times, the results are available but it takes a phone call to get them in a more timely manner. Also, if you cat went to the vet last week that seems like a long turnaround time...we recently had a dog with cancer and had a lot of bloodwork done and we always had results in approx. 2 days...maybe 3 at the most! In a few cases even the next day!

I'm sorry I don't have any advice specifically about the condition of your cat, I'm just concerned that if you cat is going downhill that fast...this seems like a long time to wait to find out the results!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My cat is also around 19. He used to be obese, but like your cat, he quit eating and is now very thin. It seems he no longer likes cat food. He would rather starve than eat it. Recently I began baking him chicken legs and he thinks they are great. Now he'll even occasionally eat a little cat food. My cat also has very bad teeth, but he'll still eat the chicken. I don't know how healthy this diet is for him and I certainly would not feed him only chicken if he were young. But he's an old guy and the chicken keeps his weight up. Don't microwave the chicken because it gets too rubbery. Bake it so that it is very tender. I bake enough for a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi fallon,

What sort of canned food is she getting? Do you think a pate-style food (smooth, not chunky) like Wellness would be easier for her to eat?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Might be a bit odd but what about blending his canned food? Maybe kitty would like some meaty style old cat soup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts