Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss of what to do. I have two cats, Jack and Elle, who are siblings from the same litter. They've been inseperable, always sleeping together or grooming each other.
Recently I adopted a 3 month old kitten, Archie. I've kept him in a separate room and he seems to be getting along with the Jack when they've sniffed each other through the gate. Elle however has totally changed her personality. Once she got a scent of Archie, she immediately started growling, hissing, and lashing out at Jack. I was afraid they would really hurt each other since Jack didn't understand why she was being so aggressive and would try to get closer which would just antagonize her more. He would just stare at her and whine. They've been separated for about a week now, except for a few times Jack has slipped past me and ran into the bedroom. Not really much progress here. Still growling and hissing.
It makes me so sad to see him cry at the door. I get even sadder when I'm with Elle and she's her old sweet self.
I've brought Archie in the bedroom in his carrier and she just sat under the bed and gave a little hiss.
I expected tension between the new kitten and my older cats but I wasn't prepared for Jack and Elle to start fighting.
How do I fix this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are some good videos on YouTube on this id recommend Jackson Galaxy. I believe they need to be separated but be able to smell then see each other and supervised in small increments. Feeding each other at the same time separated by a door/fence to increase positive enforcement ect

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
This is a toughie! It doesn't make sense to us that's for sure. I'm thinking that something novel may entice her to be more friendly or at least least afraid.. Is there a cat tree? Can she see out windows----put a bird feeder outside so she can watch the birds. Cat Shelviing around a room may be helpful, so that she can get up higher off the floor to top of cupboards or a fridge. Some adult cats don't like the antics of kittens as they've never experienced them.....was Elle an orphan kitten by any chance? The shelving would give her an "escape" route to avoid the kitten.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies!

There has been a few updates since I posted and Jack and Elle are getting along much better now except for the occasional hiss. I feel like Jack is a bit hesitant to play with Elle since he doesn't know what is going to set her off. It was encouraging when I woke up to them laying together this morning though.

To answer your question, Elle and Jack are littermates so to see her show the aggression towards him was surprising.

My main question now is, when to let Archie be free in the house? I'm waiting for the all clear from the vet which is in a few days but he is definitely ready to break out of his room.

I don't want Elle to fully regress and start hissing and growling at both of them but I know Archie wants to play and have more freedom.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with Jellybeans suggestion. Watching a few Jackson Galaxy videos on facilitating cat greetings is really helpful. He shows you incremental steps and is full of useful kitty knowledge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts