Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my kitty is now 11 weeks and almost 4 pounds. I'm not sure if I'm feeding him too much. I give him 2 cans of food, one in the morning and one at night plus I leave out dry food during the day, which he almost never touches. Am I giving him too much food? during the afternoon he meaows at the plate asking for food. He has a little bit of belly but he runs a lot.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Yes, what size cans.

Also, are you absolutely sure he is only 11 weeks old? I thought I remember you said you and a friend found him in a basement or something. It's possible that he's a a few weeks older than you thought, in which case he's not that much bigger than average.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3oz cans. We found him on July 20 and a person in the building said that the kittens were there for about 4 to 5 weeks. the can says to give him one can per pound but I think that's a bit too much. When will he be one year old?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will I have to give him more than 2 cans a day later on? I'm also giving him dry food but he doesn't really like it a lot. He eats it when he's very hungry and there's nothing else. If the can says to give him one can per pound how many cans will I have to give him when he'll be 6 pounds? I'm starting to worry, I only buy premium food.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Well you can always buy the bigger cans to save money! It works out to be MUCH cheaper.

Also, when he is older you will not be feeding him quite so much. I think it works out to be about 1/2 oz per lb. for adults.

I'll have to go back and check, but I believe that's what it is off hand.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Take another look at the can; it probably says "one OUNCE" per pound, not one can. An average adult cat will eat about 6 oz. of wet food a day if that's all they're getting.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts