Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Well heres the story. I have a 1 year old male cat named Sonny. Last week, a friend of mine gave me his 3 week old kitten, from a litter of others. Its a female. So the first day i seperated them both. Then Sonny wanted to meet this other kitty. At first he was scared of her. Now hes starting to follow her, poop in her litter box and eat her food. I feed them both at the same time. Sonny also licks her and even in the rear,lol no joking. I find it odd. And sometimes he ignores her. I know hes jealous but I give him more attention. What can I do? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
THREE week old kitten! 8O 8O 8O Are you serious?! :?:

I hope that's a typo!! That's way too young to adopt out a kitten!

Congratulations on the (hopefully actually much older) new kitten.

I don't understand what advice you need. It doesn't sound like Sonny is jealous or doing anything abnormal. I think their introduction is going wonderfully from what you've written here. My advice is to enjoy your good luck and make sure to take the kitten to a vet to make sure she is healthy.

~Heather

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I agree, the kitten is *WAY WAY* too young!! Who in the world would adopt out kittens so young?! Kittens actually shouldn't be adopted out until 12 weeks of age.

Despite this, everything sounds normal to me. The fact that the kitten is so young explains why your cat is grooming it. Please just watch to make sure the kitten is eating/drinking/pooping properly. I would get vet advice *right away* because kittens shodon't usually eat solid food at three weeks. You could try feeding her canned mixed with water, but she may still need to get bottle fed. Is there any way that you could give the kitten back for at least 3 more weeks so she can finish nursing?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You guys are right on! Three weeks old is still bottle-feeding age; you will definitely need to supplement with KMR or other kitten milk replacer (the liquid works best; the dry stuff can be kind of lumpy) as well as trying to teach her to eat solid food (canned only at this point).

This kitten is much too young to have been taken from mom. However, it sounds like the older cat has very nicely assumed a "paternal" role and is taking good care of the baby.

At this point it may be too late to return her to her mother, who may not accept her back. So, get yourself a good alarm clock and start feeding her every 6 hours around the clock with KMR if you want her to develop normally.

The good news is that a kitten's primary social development takes place between 3-7 weeks of age. Her exposure to a variety of people and animals during this period will make her a better adjusted adult. The bad news is that she really should be with mom and her siblings to do that!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha it was a typo, i meant 13. Silly me. Anyway thanks for the comments. They are getting along fine just when Sonny eats her food bothers me. I give her the canned kitten food. I feed Sonny half can and half dry food. Is this ok?

·
Registered
981 Posts
They seem to be doing great together, no issues i can see. You can try to feed them separately or let's say kitten on the couter and sonny on teh floor, so you can make sure they both eat their food. for now, you can get kitten dry for them both, if Sonny suddenly wants the new dry only :) :p

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Congrats on your new kitten and how wonderful your resident cat has taken to the new baby! Most of us are not this lucky! However, you should check out the posts by "Ta3339" on her cats Tierney and Teagan...we're all jealous of them!

I feed a mix of wet and dry (though more wet than dry) but that's only because my one cat was only eating dry food for most of her life and it's been hard to completely get her off it. Though we're down to probably 70/30 right now. Wet food is MUCH better for a cat.

Anyway, my point is...now that you have the opportunity to start off this kitty the right way, I'd highly suggest not feeding dry food at all. There are many posts about this. Dry food diets cause obesity, UTI's, diabetes and a host of serious health problems later in life.

If they are both eating the same food, the older cat may not be inclined to eat so much of it. There are lots of high quality wet foods that are for all stages of life and are not for just adult cats or kittens. I actually find that my kitten eats the older cats food.

You probably know best because you are there with them, but it's possible that he's not jealous and that he's just really intrigued by the new addition to the family.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update!!!

Hi everyone. Everything looked good so far but today i saw some violence. Today my cat, Sonny started to bite on the little one. Then he started picking fights with her. He jumps on her and biting while she is pinned down. I feel bad she was crying. So i seperated them for a hour then the little one came up to Sonny and started to slap his face with her paw. Then she chased him around the house and they got into another fight. The little one is defenseless but shes saying bring it on. LOL what should I do?. I never saw this in my life.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Are you sure they are being too rough? Some cats, even while playing and not getting hurt at all, will scream up a storm!

I would say as long as the little one is picking the "fights" and isn't running away in fear, they are probably ok.

But I only have one cat, so I may be wrong...

·
Registered
464 Posts
My 2 kittens play like that all the time Keya the older one of 5 months 7 lbs is always pinning Jivana the younger one 3 months 3 lbs, nipping, biting and licking away. Jivana is yepping and meowing up a storm you'd think he was getting slaughtered. Then when he wiggles his way out from under her he'll pounce right back at her and they go through the whole scene again. Its really cute to watch. Then when its over more often than not they have a grooming session.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts