Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a new member to this forum and I am hoping you guys can help.
I have a beautiful bombay cat named Spooky. My new husband has a cat named Pookie. Pookie is very gentle and very laid back, he is a tomcat. Spooky can be a wild child. Both are inside cats and both are male. Spooky is the younger of the two (8 years) and Pookie is 12. Spooky and I moved into Pookie's house. Spooky is being very mean to Pookie. Will not allow him into certain rooms of the house, to use the litter box, chases him away. Anytime I see Spooky being mean to Pookie I try to get him interested in something else. This usually works but when we are not at home I just know they are fighting - find clumps of fur from both cats. Spooky just wants Pookie to stay in his cat bed and not come out. My husband is ready to throw Spooky outside but he knows if he did I would divorce him and then hurt him. We did have two cat boxes but my husband decided this past weekend to take one of the boxes away. He found that Spooky was going in Pookies and figured all was alright. I told him not to but he did. Now both cats have to use just one and Spooky does not like this. I have been cleaning the litter 3 times a day. Anytime he sees Pookie heading to "his" catbox he chases him and corners him and screams at him. I told my husband to put the other litter box back but he wants me to try to find another solution. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You could separate them and try to reintroduce slowly over the course of a week or so. In the end, though, I would recommend having three litterboxes. A good rule of thumb for any household is to have one litterbox for each cat and an extra one for good measure.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Annissa is exactly right. Your husband made a serious mistake by taking away the box because it will only escalate the conflict, and make it virtually certain that at some point Pookie will start going outside the box.

Separation and re-introduction is the key. Were these two just thrown together without any sort of proper introduction technique? For more on just how to do this, please see articles in our library on base camp and cat-to-cat introductions.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library .

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. I told my husband to put the litter box back. If he hasn't by the time I get home from work, I will. The two cats have been together for about 9 months now. It is getting worse between the two instead of better. My Spooky is very spoiled and doesn't like other cats. He loves attention and doesn't like for the other cat to have any. At first he wasn't so bad, but as time goes on he is being more and more mean to the other cat. He now doesn't want my husband to pay attention to Pookie. If my husband is petting Pookie as soon as Pookie leaves my cat follows him and attacks him. My vet suggested seperating them. My vet knows my cat and knows that Spooky can be very territorail (sp?) and has even offered medication for Spooky. I don't want my baby on medication so I guess I will have to go back to keeping them separate. I have separate food and water bowls for them so I guess we will go back to separate litter boxes. I don't want the other cat to get hurt and believe me Spooky is out for blood when he attacks. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a very similar problem with two of my four cats. Jenkies and Yellikins hate each other. Their conflict was horrible at first. I would often come home to clumps of fur on the floor and two scratched up cats. While the fighting has stopped now, they still do not like each other. I can’t feed them together or get them to sit anywhere near each other. It seems like if I bring one into a room the other leaves. Then there is the occasional hissing match at two in the morning.

I wish I could give you some helpful advice, but all I can say is that time mellows it slightly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put the second litter box back. There were no fights last night...thank goodness. I have separate water and food bowls for them, so at least they don't fight over food and water.
Thanks again for the replies. I guess they will just have to learn to live together. In June I am getting a maltese puppy...so this should be interesting. Both cats are used to dogs. I have had a black lab and a cocker spaniel. I am hoping that the new puppy will be a distraction for my Spooky and he will be to interested in the puppy to go after the other cat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts