Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
woke up to my cat's crazy meowing today while he was meowing at the door , i opened it and there is 2 stray cats setting there ( prpbably over 5 years old) and he started hissing then they ran away and i closed the door .

he kept going back and smelling and meowing till now , the cats keep coming back to the door , my cat is going crazy .

its 2am and i havent slept yet because of his meowing , what should i do ?

my cat is very scared and angry his hair is straight standing and he is wont stop meowing at the door .

i dont want to kick the other cats out of the building since its cold outside thats my guess on why they comeback , but still want my cat to calm down and relax .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checking. Did things settle down?
thanks for asking!

the stray cats went and did not come back , but my cat is still acting crazy about it , he is smelling the door almost all the time and meows so i open it , im afraid he'd run out one day when i open the door to go outdoors .

if u got any ideas on how to calm him down i'd appreciate it .

·
Registered
669 Posts
If this were my situation I wouldn't do anything. Your cat will get over this in time and it is not something you can rush. Once the cats have not come back for a couple of weeks or so it's unlikely that he will still be acting this way.

If they do come back, you can contact a cat rescue or the Humane Society to see if they will come out and trap them and move them somewhere else of take them in to the shelter. but generally feral cats will not stick around if you scare them off.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I would wipe down the door in case they sprayed. Although it's such a horrible smell, you probably would have noticed it if they did. But even just their being there on the other side of the door, I would clean it, if nothing else just to replace their scent with something else.

·
Administrator
15 Posts
Mosi's suggestion is the most ideal. Also, for all you know, your cat might just grow bored of checking the door all the time and opt to look for something else to entertain itself with. A cat is unlikely to stay engaged in an activity if there is a lack of noticeable results.

Definitely get in touch with the Humane Society or a local shelter if the trouble resumes!

Kind regards,

Will

·
Registered
366 Posts
Poor cat. And poor sleepless you. Nobody likes uninvited company!

It's a good idea to be extra careful whenever you open the door so he doesn't run out. When he is near the door, you could try to draw him away from it with treats and praise. Talk to him softly and reassuringly, and wait until he's calm before you give him a treat, praise, or pet him.

You could also try to distract him away from the door with a wand toy, laser light, or one of his favorite toys. Drag it slowly across the room away from the door so he can stalk it, and keep moving away from the door until he catches it. A good 15 minute play session followed by treats and praise may help him to get over the intruders.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good point, Janis! First I'd try to get him away from the door if he's upset and meowing, and if the strays don't make another appearance, then use the treats by the door and elsewhere in the room to get him comfortable around the door again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts