Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need some help with 2 kittens that are not getting along. Someone at work didn't want their kitten anymore so I took him. He is very sociable and thought be a good idea to get a 2nd kitten for companionship.

We eased the new kitten in, she is was 10 weeks old when got her and he was 12 weeks old. A few weeks have gone on now, we did the steps with slow introduction, no face to face. He tries to initiate play with her, she doesn't like it. She will hiss and growl at him if he get anywhere near her.

I am not sure what to do next, I am trying hard to make this work. Everywhere I read online, they say it's the easiest thing to introduce kittens but doesn't feel like it.

She is very sweet with me and like to play and explore but him, she isn't so keen. I tried some tactics to cool them down and read a lot online but still nothing seems to work.

It leads me to the question, did I make a mistake and get the polar opposites? It would be great to hear anyone has had this experience and how they made it work. I searched everywhere and most info isn't applicable to me.

Many thanks,
Will

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Do you know whether both kittens were with their momacat and litter before you got them? Kittens go through an important socialization period from the time they're born to 10-12 wks, and during that time learn their socialization skills with their litter mates, momacat/other adult cats. Their play together is when they learn how to control their bite and claws, and learn body language. It's difficult for them if they have missed this and the reason a good breeder will not sell his kittens until they're around 12 wks old. Sometimes it's genetics. One of the things you can do to try to make your girl kitty comfortable with the older male kitty is to take a towel or facecloth and rub it all over your girl cat's face around the scent glands of the muzzle and under her tail, then use the scented cloth to rub all over your boy's face and on his body. Usually, when the cat that's upset smells her own scent on the other cat that wants to play, it is helpful in her being more confident and friendlier.. If this doesn't work for her, it may be just her personality. Do this several times in the week, and switch the scents around, and hopefully she has a change of heart. Also switch their bedding from one to another. Try to engage them in play with a wand toy with feathers, individually and if they're enjoying it with each other, flicking the toy back and forth from one to the other. After a play session feed them treats together. Always nice to hear an update. All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts