Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate advice. A couple in my neighborhood had to foreclose and cruelly put out a 2 month old kitten. I received a call about her because I try to do as much rescue work as possible. I found the kitten, with respiratory infection and very swollen front left leg. My vet treated the respiratory infection but said her leg was developing gangrene from a bad cut. He amputated and I now have Ava home with me.. She is the sweetest kitten and has adjusted well except she cannot jump onto my sofa or bed without my picking her up. That's fine but during the day, she loves to sleep on the sofa. I pick her up but she cannot get down. She can't land on one front leg, so I put her down. When I have to go out I leave her in a kitty cushion but she's not happy. I come home and she's sitting in front of sofa. Any thoughts that would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You have a really big heart. This is a wonderful rescue story.
Ava will be fine. She is so young that she will grow up thinking three legs are normal and will adjust in so many ways. Cats' back legs are powerful, and she has two of them. She will be up on that sofa on her own in no time.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the kitten. You can buy little "pet steps" for pets to get up and down on things more easily. You can also buy small step stools for general household purposes, which may be less expensive than the pet steps. Finally, perhaps you could make something along the same lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a really big heart. This is a wonderful rescue story.
Ava will be fine. She is so young that she will grow up thinking three legs are normal and will adjust in so many ways. Cats' back legs are powerful, and she has two of them. She will be up on that sofa on her own in no time.
Thank you. Ava has been through so much for a kitten. What infuriates me is how someone can just put a pet out on the street. In this recession, it is certainly sad to lose your house but, if you can't take a pet, at least take her to a no-kill shelter. What kind of human would just put a kitten out on the street:fust

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry to hear about the kitten. You can buy little "pet steps" for pets to get up and down on things more easily. You can also buy small step stools for general household purposes, which may be less expensive than the pet steps. Finally, perhaps you could make something along the same lines.
Thank you. I did try a 3-step stool that I often use, myself and Ava was afraid to try. I'll keep putting it by the sofa to see if she does learn to use it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah the step stool is a good idea. It may take her a little bit to get used to though. We got one for my pomeranian when he started having trouble jumping up on things in old age. He was wary at first but eventually figured out how to use it.

I have a friend who has a 3-legged cat and while she had trouble at first, now she gets around just fine. Cats are very adaptable, so I'm sure she'll get used to it. So wonderful of you to take her in and rescue her from an awful fate.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Do you have an ironing board? Pin a towel on it snugly to give her more grip and prop it against the sofa. Teach her to climb up the board by putting her on it and enticing her up with a treat or piece of cheese. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
My TNR group have rescued two kittens which had to have their leg amputated. One of my friends which foster the first one, she named Tippy. She ended up adopting her. She integrated well with her other cats. The cat learned to get around on three legs. Climbs a cat tree, runs and plays with the other cats. Tippy is doing just fine.

I found a lot on line when we rescued the first one that had to have its leg amputated. Its not uncommon and they do just fine. You are a wonderful big hearted person to rescue this kitten and take her on.

May the people who lost their home and put the cat on the street never recover and be homeless themself for being so selfish to endanger a precious souls life. It makes me so mad to hear this happening over and over and over again. I wish there was a list to put names of people so they could never adopt a pet ever again.

I would love to hear about her progress and all you learn. Im sure others will come to CF to find information on this. You will be there to help them!

I know when I took on the blind kitties I never knew anyone else who had done this before. Having others around you, to support you with information & encouragement is a big help. Ive now found there is a whole subculture of people who love and have blind cats. Im sure its the same with Tripods.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Thank you. I did try a 3-step stool that I often use, myself and Ava was afraid to try. I'll keep putting it by the sofa to see if she does learn to use it.
Perhaps if you put some treats on the steps of the stool, she'll try to get them and then hopefully she'll slowly start to get the hang of the steps.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
You're right, it's absolutely unbelievable that people would just put a 2-month old kitten on the street. It's great to hear that you've rescued this little one, though.

The ironing board is a great idea. I bet you could make a cheap ramp by buying a board and covering it with carpet or maybe gluing on a bathroom rug.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sully had his left front leg amputated at 4 months and adjusted very quickly. He can do everything my four leggers can do. The only thing he has trouble with is cathing da bird out of the air. But he sure tries!
Like Becky, I also didn't know that Sully had his leg amputated. It's wonderful to hear he's adapted so well!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts