Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes! I wrote in a couple of days ago...two new adult cats, one hissing and growling incessantly which has caused the other (less abrasive) cat to become a "bully"...he is trying to guard resources, intervenes when the other cat is getting attention (which only causes more hissing and growling because she wants him nowhere near her), and now we have a major problem. It seems that Ed (the quieter, more discreet cat) is trying to go after Tootsie (aka Hissy) when we aren't looking. The result (2 days in a row) has been an all out brawl leading to Tootsie peeing all over herself and the floor. She was recently vetted so I don't think it's a medical issue, and it seems to be directly related to Ed and her anxiety. She doesn't act like herself (loving and happy) at all!! Long story short, I've tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! I've researched and done everything proper to try to introduce and socialize them, but I think all of Tootsie's hissing and growling (anxiety from being an only cat for so long) just got to Ed, and he now wants to establish dominance...Ed is the cat that actually got along well with other cats at the shelter! I fear this will not work! It's been 3 weeks...there was some progress, then as Tootsie started to become more settled, Ed started this sneaky business! I don't know who should be going into the "safe room" we've set up, who should be sleeping where in the house (so as NOT to cause a problem), who should get run of the house, or if it would be best to rehome. Suggestions, anyone, please?!? I love them both so much already!! What am I going to do?

·
Registered
395 Posts
This is an earlier post I made of introducing new cats:
First, it depends on how you started the introductions. I got a new kitten about 3 weeks ago, he is 5 and a half months old, and I have my older cat and she is 4 and a half years old. You have to take introductions slow, for atleast the first 3 days, dont even let the cats see eachother. Keep the new kittens locked in a room that the older cat doesn't use as often as other rooms. Another good thing would have been to rub your older cat down with a damp towel atleast three times a day to get her scent caught it in, then when you want to get the kittens face to face with the older cat, thoroughly rub the kittens down with the damp towel to get the older cats scent on them, it can usually trick the older one into thinking it has kittens. Also, bring the older cat into the room of the kittens, and let the kittens explore the rest of the house, so they get used to eachothers smell. You can't just force the older cat to right away like the younger ones, because they feel threatened and dont like sharing their territory. In the beginning you want to show more affection to the older cat so she doesnt feel the kittens are a competition to her, and if the older cat doesnt hiss or bristle his fur when seeing the kittens, give her one of her favorite treats. Introductions between cats could take just a few days, to a few months, however, in some cases you will need to always keep them seperated or give away the kittens. You also don't want to put the older cat in too much stress because it could lead to health problems, and be prone to UTI's. The older cat may also develop behavioral issues like urinating and deficating outside of the litter box. Another thing, if the kittens or the cat attack, hiss, growl, or bristle their fur, seperate them immedietly, you want to start off with a positive and calm environment, and the second you see anything negative, seperate them for a break. After 3 weeks of having my new kitten, I still have to seperate him when I am not able to supervise, just to make sure they don't get into a fight or anything negative happens.

And to continue on that, I personally think the cat who initiates the fight should be locked up for a few mintues. When you notice they are getting distressed, seperate them immedietly. When they are good around eachother, reward them with treats, and when they are bad simply seperate them and ignore it. You don't want to distress the cat by forcing them to be around eachother when one is so anxious she pees on herself. Also, a good thing for distractions so they dont last out at eachother, get a toy they both like and get them to chase it around, it usually keeps them too busy to even notice the other one is there. And if they are good with that, reward with a treat and lots of petting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts