Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
We got two new kittens (they are about 6 weeks old) we have a small liter box up stairs and one downstairs. So far not much luck on getting them to go in their box, I think they under our couch and go, I have got one of them everyone and while and give them a swat (not hard at all and say no no) and put them their cat box and tell them to go there.

What ideas have worked for you, I am sure it takes time but getting tried of cleaning up cat poop.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Unless you are catching them in the acting of going outside the litterbox, the kittens are way too young to understand why you are hitting them. It is simply going to teach them you are going to suddenly hit them for no reason (in their minds). I'm not a fan of hitting them for any reason.

You need to clean the areas where they have gone with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle to remove all odors (even the ones we can't smell, but they can). Put any poop into the litterbox, so they can start to figure out that's where you want them to go.
They are very young, most kittens stay with mom until they are 8-12 weeks old. Mom teaches them where to go. You are going to have to do it now. Limit their access to rooms in the house, supply lots of litterboxes and make sure they are low enough to easily let them get in.
Kittens will be busy playing and suddenly need to go. They can't wait to go to the next room or upstairs until they are older. We see the same thing in some of our Kindergarten kids. :)
Try not to stress over it, the kittens pick up on that too. It will get better.

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
give them a swat (not hard at all and say no no) and put them their cat box and tell them to go there.
This may make them afraid of the litter box. Even when my twinz would wrestle in their litter box or one would wait inside and then attack the other when they walked by, I was very, very careful to distract them, never raise my voice or make sudden movements or anything that would make them think the litter box is a punishment or a place to avoid.

Your kittens are extremely young to be on their own, poor things didn't get the lessons they needed from their Mom. Marsha gave you great advice.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would confine the kittens in a smaller area where their litterbox is more easily accessible. I would have them stay there at least a few days before you let them venture out farther from it. At 6 weeks old, they are much too young to be allowed very far away from their litterbox. As they get older, then they will be able to venture farther and for longer periods. It would be like expecting a 6 week old puppy to remember to go to scratch at the door. Their little brains aren't quite there yet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would confine the kittens in a smaller area where their litterbox is more easily accessible. I would have them stay there at least a few days before you let them venture out farther from it. At 6 weeks old, they are much too young to be allowed very far away from their litterbox. As they get older, then they will be able to venture farther and for longer periods. It would be like expecting a 6 week old puppy to remember to go to scratch at the door. Their little brains aren't quite there yet.
Agree, they are far too young to be free roaming the house.

Never, ever swat them :( It's not their fault they've been taken from their mum too soon and didn't get to learn all they should before being adopted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.