Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought 2 new kittens at the Humane Society. they are both about 9-10 weeks old. The male is a little smaller, but very energetic and came from a household, the other is a female who is a bit bigger than the male and a tad more shy and skittish but still very playful, she was a stray. For the first couple days the female stayed away from the male, but now they play together a lot. I was wondering how to tell if they are being aggressive towards each other or are getting along. When they play its not all batting and chasing, they will bite and kick, mostly its the male doing it to the female but he doesnt always start it. Sometimes there is hisses and spats, but not usually. I dont have a problem with them playing like this, but i dont want it to become painful to either of them and for them to stop playing together because of it. Basically I would like to know if what they are doing is normal, and will they set their own boundaries while playing? when they arent playing they do get along fine, usually taking naps near each other or both crawling in my lap together. Thanks for any responses

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Sounds similar to my cats except they dont really do the hissing part when they were young. They would chase each other and play and tackle but as they grew older they dont play together as much and they sleep in their own areas now. I dont think you have anything to worry about, they just seem to be pretty playful, I would just worry if it seems like one is getting hurt or is hiding in the corner when one tries to play with them. Good luck with your cats! :wink:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Since you got both a male and female kitty, please make sure to get both of them spayed/neutered! Pretty soon, girl-kitty will be male-kitties best friend..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure it was normal playing, just needed second opinion for my wife. the cats came spayed and neutered, microchipped, and with their shots.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sounds like my cats as well. They start playing and if they do get too rough one of them cries or hisses and the game is over and they run anyway from each other. By the way, congratulations on adopting two new kitties! :D

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
you can spay/neuter a cat at 10 weeks old? i thought they had to be around 6 months old before they could be done.
maybe im wrong, please if i am do tell me as out of the 3 kittens im keeping one is a male so i want to make sure i get them done at the right time.

edit
btw just for the hissing part, one of my boy kittens does it sometimes when fighting, im guessing when things get a bit rough, the only other time ive seen him doing it is when one of the brothers or sisters try to chase him/play and hes not interested.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
At what age would you recomend it to be done?
i have always thought around 6 months old, i have been told with my boy that once you notice his testicles he can be done, is this so?
Vienna ended up having kittens because i left it too long (she has now been done) and as much as i love them all and kept 3 (yes three!) i dont want it to happen again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts