Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. What is happening to Linus' tail? It seems to be very matted and some fur is gone. Here is a picture.

2. Is there a home remedy for ear mites? I think Linus might have them but I can't afford to see a vet.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
He looks like he may be having some sort of 'problem' at his back end. Possibly
worms? That could cause overgrooming in that area, as can waste material
getting stuck in his fur or even impacted anal glands (have to see vet for that)
causing discomfort.

For ear mites, I have NEVER been satisfied with ANY over-the-counter or product
from the vet where you put drops in the ears. I have had very good success with
Revolution: fleas, heartworm, ear mites, hookworm (Anycylostoma tubaeforme)
and roundworm (Toxocara cati ).

Good luck, if he does have problems with ear mites and parasites, Revolution will
take care of all of them.
Heidi

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think Ear mites are pretty cheap to treat. I took my kitten to a low cost SPCA clinic to get his ears looked at because he was shaking his head and they didn't even charge me extra for the treatment, just the $10 office visit. If you can find a something like that, it might be cheaper just to take him in than to try a bunch of over the counter stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He doesn't seem to be troubled by any of this. No head shaking and I've never seen him over groom his tail. I can't afford to go to the vet. We are really that broke. :(

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I had a vet show me when she was putting Advantage on a cat to put a small drop on the inside tip of each ear for the ear mites.
Its hard to tell from the picture. Im always paranoid about ringworm but youd see patches of skin where the hair is missing if that is it.
You can always look up homopathic remedies also.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have two tubes of Revolution, for cats. If you PM me your address, I will send one to you for Linus. That will at the very least help the ear mites. (as a side note, i'm not sure the US will allow me to send it, but I will still try and hope it gets to you and sneaks thru the border)

Maybe you could give his bum a wash in warm water (scruff him and just rinse him off) and see if that helps the back end?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muzby, I sent you a pm. I'll try the warm water thing and see if that works on his tail.

If he had ringworm, wouldn't it spread to adults?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I just matched 2 and 2 together. My husband has suspicious red marks on his body that I think are ringworm. Do you think he could have gotten it from Linus? How do we know if Linus really has ringworm? Wouldn't have my son and I have gotten it too? Is ringworm an ongoing problem in cats? I thought if cats were "dewormed" they wouldn't get ringworm. :?

I definitely think he's got the ear mites though because I'm constantly cleaning his ears.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I don't think ringworm is a worm. I think it is a fungus.

If it is ringworm PM Mitts & Tess, she recently had to treat a litter of kittens with ringworm. I think. I think it was Mitts & Tess? Or a member from Florida?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ringworm is a fungal infection (and therefore deworming doesnt help at all), and you can fix that easily yourself with over-the-counter meds (I think there was a member who did an amazing job, but I forget who, maybe they will chime in!). Perhaps change your title of the thread to ringworm help needed, to get more info.

I've had ringowrm (I worked at a pet store and our skinny pigs almost always had it). I used otc anti fungal cream. Easy. Just apply daily (x2) until a WEEK after it goes away.

Some people are prone, some people can touch it and never get it! Some people hear the word and break out. It's a case by case thing. Your hubby may have it, but you and your son wont get it. Maybe someone in your house carried it in from elsewhere. It's all possible. :)

Do a couple searches, there's lots of info. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if we can afford to treat him? :( :( :( I'm going to call around tomorrow morning and see if I can find an affordable vet. If not, I don't know what we'll do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sent Muzby my address and she/he is going to try and send me some stuff. But I still think Linus needs to see a vet. If I sound upset it's because I am. I rescued this cat with the understanding he was a healthy cat. The woman that I bought him from said he had been to the vet so I assumed he was, in fact, healthy, which he was not. She told me that having a cat as a pet is very inexpensive. Maybe it is her I should give a call to as well.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Regardless of what the past owner said--a cat is an animal--it will get sick at some point and you have to be prepared to care for a sick pet.

Have you looked at care credit?

Ringworm is not to be taken lightly--you need to thoroughly clean your whole house--the spores can live for 2 years!

Leslie

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jack&Harley said:
Ringworm is not to be taken lightly--you need to thoroughly clean your whole house--the spores can live for 2 years!
How do we get rid of the spores in the house?? Do we need to hire someone?

·
Banned
439 Posts
once you have the cat on Revolution
you don't have to worry about spores
since the drug will now shield the cat.

I would still clean the areas the cat
frequents very thoroughly only after
Revolution has been applied to the cat.

also dispose of all partially used litter
and replace it with completely new
after you really clean the litter box.

If you have or can borrow one, it's a
good idea to run a HEPA air filter while
you clean up, to catch anything airborne.

many cat keepers invest in HEPA filters
to reduce the amount of airborne dander
that can potentially irritate human visitors.

I keep my HEPA filter running while I clean,
and for several hours afterward to catch
airborne items kicked up by my activity.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts