Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 cats, they go to different vets (one is my daughter's actually).
When cat 1 went to the vet, I was given 3 syringes of Pyrantel (dewormer) and told to give one syringe each day for three days.
When cat2 went to the different vet, I was given 1 syringe of Strongid (Pyrantel) and told to give it just one time. I questioned him, "I don't have to repeat the dose?". He said No.
What does your vet do?

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Is there a big difference in the sizes and weights of the cats? I dunno that might account for the difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smaller cat was actually the one that I was told to give the medicine 3 days in a row.
I read a bit on Pyrantel and it sounded like giving a larger dose (than was recommended) didn't have significantly adverse effects (within reason)

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
Are they different strengths? Maybe the little cat needs smaller, more spread out doses.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Call both vets with these questions. See what they tell you why they choose the meds and why the dosage. Any good vet will call you back at the end of his day. Dont let a tech relay answers because youll want to clarify his answers with the vet with extra questions.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have NEVER heard of multiple doses for deworming. My fosters just recently got dewormed, and they all got ONE dose... The first vet sounds like they don't know what they are talking about... But then again, it could be that your vet feels the cat wouldn't deal well with one dose in one go. I would question the vets and get the details as to why your SMALLER cat needs more doses..

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My vet gives only one syring of Strongid to my kittens on each visit. I've never heard about multiple doses either.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
are you sure the medications are correct? Strongid (yellow liquid) is usually dosed once but Panacur (white liquid) is usually dosed once daily for three days. We often recommend repeating deworming in about three weeks just to be safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like one may have had just a regular deworming and the other with the 3 doeses may be being wormed for tape worm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts