Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
So far we know the mama we adopted in April has no underlying health issues and is in perfect health. She is also indoor only.
However we rescued her and her baby from a rescue and it’s been awesome. However the home she was taken from was a hoarding house where she was able to pee wherever she wanted. No litterbox. We got her home in April and after a short time I started to notice there was cat pee always on my clothing and the odd time in the hall on a towel that may be laying around. At first I thought it was the baby, but we got him neutered as soon as he was able so I thought that was it. Nope! I actually caught her peeing on my clothes that were folded on top of a box in my room! She’s busted. I called the vet and they checked her out for urinary tract infections. Nothing came up. Again, healthy as a horse. It’s now behavioural. I’ve changed the litter ( many many times) tried almost everything I can think of. Does anyone have any suggestions at where I should try next? She’s not in any stress here. Behavioural is where in thinking now…. Any ideas would be helpful! It’s super frustrating 🤣. Thank you !

·
Registered
564 Posts
Try Googling "cat litter box issues" and there will be a dozen or more things to try. I suggest that you keep any cloth off the floor, and close the door to bedrooms for now. Block her from all access to rooms where she has peed, and put a litter box right outside the closed door so when she wants to go in there, there's a box right there. Put out several cat boxes in different places.

Does she ever use the box at all? Or just sometimes? How about the kitten?

Changing the litter frequently sometimes exacerbates the issue rather than solving it. I suggest trying "dr. Eisley's cat-attract" either the litter or the stuff to sprinkle on top of the litter. Follow the directions on the litter bag. It costs more but in my experience you don't have to keep using it forever.

And if you ever do see her using one of the boxes, praise her and give her a very yummy treat. It may take some time to change her habits. It could take months still for this to change entirely and you just have to be patient.

Good luck, and if something does work please let us know because we are always wanting to learn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts