Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted two sisters two years ago so they wouldn't beseperated - being the only two of the litter. We let them outside when we are out and they enjoy it a lot. Recently the more aggressive cat (Clairee) hisses at her sister Truvy) when they are near each other. They don't play together any more or nap together. Both were altered as kittens. This seems to have happened last year, but not as severly.

To make matters worse, something apparently happened in the greatroom a over a week ago when this all began. Truvy was very spooked and stayed in the bathroom or basement. Gradually she is improving and satying with us upstairs more. She is still on edge and jumpy in the greatroom, but acting normal when we are outside.

Any thoughts on either or both of these? We think they may be related, and possible Truvy knoked over a small board I had sitting in the great room. We are even thinking they might have had a fight and the board got knocked on Truvy. These are my first cats, so it is all very confusing.

THANKS!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think you're absolutely right in relating the incidents. My guess is that while outside something spooked both of them and an incident of displaced aggression took place. A good for instance could have been Truvy sees perhaps a stranger cat, gets scared, runs wildly into her sister who, having seen the same cat, reacts aggressively towards Truvy. It wasn't intentional, just an extension of the "fight or flight" instinct that is so keenly developed in cats. Once they had this accidental spat, it becomes hard to recognize that innate trust they once had as littermates.

I work as a behavior consultant and actually had a case of 7 yr old littermates who went through this and it took quite a while for things to calm down again. The first thing I'd do is perhaps limit their outdoor time to when you are home and can supervise them, at least for now, so that none of this over the top stimulation can happen again. Replace that stimulation with supervised play in your home, especially in the great room, where Truvy can rediscover her confidence, and they can get out some energy in a controlled environment.

Be patient, it may take some time for them to get things back to the way they were...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts