Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Izzy our 20 week old mixed breed is eating my wifes plants in the window sill of our bedroom. Izzy sleeps with us in the bedroom but when she wakes up hours before us she will climb to look out the window and have a general munch of the plant leaves and dig around of the soil in the plant pots. For now we have removed the plants, but my wife says she wants them back and so she wants to prevent Izzy from coming into the bedroom all together. Is there anything we can do to stop her from eating them? as i dont really want her to be locked out of the bedroom! i like it when she sleeps with us!

Kind regards

Ian

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Hi Ian! Many Plants are poisonous to cats!
So getting Izzy to stop chewing on them is very important!
How does your wife have her plants? Are they on the window sill? A shelf?
I have cats and plants...
I hung mine up out of the way of cat nibbles!
Could you build a special shelf for her plants?
You can also start Izzy some catnip plant in a pot, just for her,
there is also 'cat grass'
that you could start a tray of for her...
She might find her own to be much more appealing, than your wifes plants!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Many thanks for the replies!

My wife has her plants on the window sill. We have checked to make sure they are not toxic for cats as i was very worried about that. I have now ordered some cat grass seeds and a ready grown tray of the stuff - not sure what thats going to be like once delivered!!

i have toyed with the idea of growing some catnip, but at the moment she doesnt seem interested much in catnip, well at least the dried stuff anyway. She likes it for only a few minutes but once she has had a nibble and a rub in it she ignores it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As cats get older their interest in catnip tends to increase. Mine as a kitten was indifferent, but now it's like kitty crack to him :)

I also have lots of plants, and was able to get them to stop munching with cat grass as well. I have it in a baking tray (like a 9" by 13") so they can stomp around in it and munch. I also have lemon grass that has inadvertently become their plant. They like to chew it and swat the long blades of grass. They don't touch any of my other plants anymore

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts