Registered
5,173 Posts
Lambs Corners
(Haldimand County, Ontario)

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Esquimalt, British Columbia

Pronounced Ess-KWI-malt, it's a native word meaning "the place of gradually shoaling waters", and is located on the southeast tip of Vancouver Island, and is known for Western Canada's naval base.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Donnybrook
(Huron County, Ontario)

Nebraska, I've passed through Thedford on my way to the gorgeous sand beach at Grand Bend on shore of Lake Huron. Thedford is among six villages in 2001 that amalgated into a municipality now called Lambton Shores.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Krugerdorf
(Timiskining, northeastern Ontario)
Originially called "German Settlement" in early 1900's, and officially named in 1949, after its first settler August Kruger, a farmer and blacksmith from Germany. English, Scottish and Jewish homesteaders followed.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Fairbury, Nebraska
Home of the company that originated Fairbury hot dogs, colored a ridiculously bright red color, these hot dogs are the "official hot dog of Husker Nation" but available nationwide. Sadly, the company was sold and the manufacturing of the dogs outsourced to another state.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
How is this pronounced? Hmmm....ending with a "."? guess I'm going to have to go with a "T".

Trois-Pistoles, Quebec

It’s said to have been an inspiration for the Tragically Hip’s song Three Pistols, but a pistole was in fact an old gold coin, and Trois-Pistoles refers to the myth of an explorer who lost a goblet worth three pistoles in the Saint Lawrence River.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Let's stay in Québec: Sept-Iles.

I've always wanted to visit Quebec City but never have. It would have been much easier had I done so when I lived in upstate NY...

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Sans Souci
(Parry Sound County, Ontario)

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Newfoundland

Canada's most easterly island tenth province to join the Canadian Confederation in 1949 (in 2001 it was amended to Newfoundland and Labrador), known for it's fishing and seafaring industry, warm hospitality, funny place names, and humour, and snowy winters. Newfie English is a mix of dialects with West Country English (Cornwall, Devon) and south east Irish dialects.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania just outside of Philadelphia, in an area where most city names are Welsh.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Entrance, Alberta

Imagine the sign once you drive into town reading, “You're now entering Entrance.” How's that for redundancy?

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
LOL! I wish someone would post a place that ends in B: there's a stretch of route 30 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania Dutch country) where you pass the following towns west to east: Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, Paradise. That order always made me laugh. :D

I'll stay in Pa:

Easton, Pa.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Newbliss
(Leeds County, Ontario)

Named after Newbliss in County Moneghan in Ireland.

41 - 60 of 140 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.