Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Thanks for that info, catlover. I checked out the article - who knew there were so many different actual languages (rather than dialects)?!

Saratoga Springs (NY)

Where I used to live. :)

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia

While the place's name is very suggestive, the region’s main claim to fame comes from its close encounter with a UFO. In 1967 a series of strange flashing lights were spotted in the sky above Shag Harbour. Residents were concerned an aircraft had crashed into the ocean, and contacted the RCMP, who upon investigation reported seeing lights bobbing on the surface of the water. Maybe the aliens thought Shag Harbour would be the best place to party?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Hamilton, Ontario

Named after George Hamilton when he bought farmland after the War of 1812. It's a port city in southern Ontario. Main claim to fame is it's manufacturing industry, Royal Botanical Gardens, Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and McMaster University.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Nantucket Massachusetts, once a whaling capitol. strategic town in American revolution, also the subject of a very funny limerick.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Tehkummah "Place of Lights Flashing in the Sky"
On Manitoulin Island, Northern Ontario
Known for its native arts, hunting/fishing.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Gananoque
pronounced "Gan-A-Nock-wee" and is an aboriginal name which means "town on two rivers". Natives also called it the "Place of Health" where they spent their winters. The town is located on the north shore of the mighty St. Lawrence River. Inhabitants as well as tourists from around the world come to fish, sail, camp, golf, scuba-dive, cycle, hike, canoe, paint and photograph the wild beauty of the area, and take in cruises of the 1000 Islands.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Orangeville, Ontario
(Dufferin County in Southern Ontario)

Established in the 1830s by Irish Ulster and British emigrants, but it was named after industrious Orange Lawrence who arrived in 1844 from Connecticut who bought land, built mills, opened a general store and tavern, founded the first school and was postmaster. So strong was his influence that everyone agreed it appropriate that the village be named Orangeville.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Happyland
(Severn Township, Southern Ontario)

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Kleinburg
(York County, Southern Ontario)

Famous for the wonderful McMichael Canadian Art Collection gallery.
McMichael Canadian Art Collection > The Collection

Located about 45 min. drive north of Toronto, in a charming village on a lovely large wooded property.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Gangnam (a district of Seoul, South Korea).

Some of you may be familiar with Psy's Gangnam Style video...I'm Korean, and I'd never heard of him, or K-pop, until last year. My 76-year-old father looked at me like I'd grown 2 heads when I said I had no idea who Psy was. LOL.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Mount Pleasant
(Brant County, Southern Ontario) 1 of seven Mount Pleasant in Southern Ontario!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Adanac

A community on Lake Temagami in northeastern Ontario. Adanac is in the Town of Temagami, in the District of Nipissing. The name is derived from Canada, spelled backwards. Adanac has numerous camp sites that tourists use during the summer.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.