Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just added a 1 yr old cat to our home. My previous cat is 7 or so. They get along most of the time but sometimes the new cat seems to ambush the older cat. I wouldn't mind if it were just meowing and pawing, but he seems to be lunging for her neck each time with his mouth.
Both are fixed.

Is this some sort of sexual, juevenile, or other normal behavior? Or should I be concerned he's trying to hurt my older cat?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It may be a dominance issue- hes trying to show the other cat who is boss. It can always just be play fighting. My cats, being littermates sometimes fight, and look a bit nasty but as of yet ive never had anything to worry about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She really doesn't like it, but then again she doesn't hate it. She seems to sit there, and only after he lunges for her does she make noises and then swats at him. This usually causes him to get on his hind legs and swat at her, and then she usually runs away making typical cat getting stepped on noises.

We took a good ammount of time to introduce them, keeping him in a seperate room for at least a week, and letting him out only supervised for short times. We followed the common instructions you find all over the web. He has been 'free' for a just under a week. I hope they're just getting to know each other.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Pebbles my older cat, she hates the others, if they even look at her she starts to growl. Smeagle, butch and screech and brothers and sister, vienna is thier mum. When the brothers and sisters fight they hiss and growl at each other, in the end someone runs away usually who ever lost the fight. Vienna doesnt care for her "children" anymore. She lets them near her, and cuddles her, but at other times she shoooo's them away before they get a chance to even blink.
If your other cat gives him a swipe back, hopefully he will soon learn its not such a smart idea to give her a rough time. Whereas my dumb cat just runs away and doesnt fight back, altho now the kittens do give her a lot of space when they walk by her hehe.

Give your cats a chance to work things out, they just need time to get use to each other- at a year old the younger cat is still maybe acting kittenish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was a stray who we got from a shelter. He's a good cat with us, but with my cat, he's too agressive for my liking. After all, she's my little princess and has been with me for over 6 years. Should I squirt bottle him when he's mean to her?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
WHat i do if mine go for pebbles, because i know she will just run away and be sad is call "NO" in a form voice, or sqwirt them with water. The only thing with these things is he will learn not to bother the other cat when you are around, since he will get punished, when ur not around he might give her a bit of a time. But a i may be wrong, he might think oooh i dont like this and wont bother her. Every cat is different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she seems to almost 'let' him lunge at her, but when he touches her, she swats at him and makes 'cat getting stepped on' noises. then she runs away, but not very far... turns around and stares at him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
very cute!!!

Sounds like they are working out the pecking order to me. I brought a new cat into my house and similar things started happening. Eventually my orginal cat started to not back down so much and they are slowly coming to an arrangement.

You need to keep an eye on them for sure but I wouldnt worry too much at this point. Some posters here have mentioned it can take as long as 6 months for them to get used to each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what's weird is the other day i caught them laying on the couch together. kitty(female) started licking niblet(male) tail. then niblet swatted her and she made 'the noise' and ran away. i hope he chills out on her, cause she's just too calm of a cat to worry about who's top dog(cat). i was most worried that he would try to horde all the food, but she seems to eat when he's upstairs or in another room.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
My cat pebbles is stupid anyway, if she is lying on the floor and you stand too close to her she runs away. With the kittens, with all of them if they go near her she hisses, growls and give them a swipe and will then run away and sulk, usualy she goes outside and comes back about half an hour later.

Like i said above tho, every cat, like us is different, and deals with different things differently. In the end its like brandon said they will eventually sort things out, i wouldnt worry too much about it unless it gets really serious. SOmetimes cats wont get on, pebbles has had vienna around for over a year, and the kittens 7 months now, and she still wont let them near her. Other people here intorduce cats, and after the usual "bolava" that cats do they are now inseperable.

Just give it time :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Very cute cats! Time is your best bet. It shouldn't be anything to worry over. I know with a household of 6 cats, there is a fuss/fight every little while. Nothing too major but cats are just like that. Given time they may stop fighting all together, you never really know.

Unless one of them is really getting hurt, don't worry too much. Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Cats are lovely, in responce to this question I think maybe it is a domance thing, I have the same problems with Hawkeye and Willow, Wilow was used to being top cat in the household, then Hawkeye came around who has already let his brother and Mum know he is cheif, he has been trying to let Willow know this but she ain't having any of it she fights back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts