Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking that Emmy gets bored and lonely during the day and that is why she's been acting out. I've been trying to set aside some dedicated playtimes, but I've been very busy lately so they haven't been happening as much as I, and I'm sure she, would like. So I've been speaking with someone who has a kitten a few weeks younger than Emmy they are looking to rehome. I guess she has a panic disorder, the owner, and the kitten being a typical high energy kitten has been making things tough on her. She recently went to the vet and I guess has pink eye in one eye that she has drops for and was vomitting which the vet said was due to eating too fast or hairballs. The vet gave her something called "laxatone" to help which I guess she puts on the kitten's paw and she licks it off.

The kitten is an orange tabby maine **** mix so her fur is pretty much the length of Emmy's. I've never had an issue with Emmy and furballs, though granted I've only had her since December, however I believe brushings and her diet combat these on their own. If I do get this kitten I hope that would work for her too. The vomitting could also because she isn't on the best food, but who knows. I don't know how frequent the vomitting is as I am still waiting to hear back.

She has been kept as an only cat but her owner said that with her disposition she thinks the kitten would do well with a friend. She also said that her kitten gets bored and lonely so I think her and Emmy would be good for each other.

Are two cats much more expensive to keep than one? I only buy canned food about once a month and maybe twice a month get a bag of food so it is really inexpensive at the moment. I guess my question is whether or not I should try it? Obviously not until the eye issue is resolved. But once treated thats not something that would harm Emmy is it? Just looking for opinions

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Having two cats almost double your expenses. Double the food cost, litter cost, and you also should put double amount in vet budget. This includes spay/neuture fee, vaccine/deworm fee, and two cats means double the chance of "accident", like diarrhea, UTI, etc., that may require medical care. Of course they can share toys/cat tree/carrier, but they are minor expenses. So if you are already tight on money, forget about getting another cat.

However, if money is not an issue, I would definitely recommend having two cats. Two cats entertain each other so your kitty won't be bored and decides to tear down your house. It's also very entertaining to watch them interact. They won't feel lonely if you are away.

Before you bring in the second cat, you need to have him/her checked by the vet. No parasite, no worm, no contagious desease like eye infection you mentioned, and also check for the more fatal contagious deseases like FIV, FIP, FeLv.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm on a budget, but who isnt nowadays. I could afford a second cat without an issue. I'm actually surprised Emmy's expenses are so low. Maybe with 2 it will be more what I was expecting. They are both spayed so only vet costs I can see are their check-ups and if one gets sick. This kitten was just brought to the vet so I would look over those records and make sure she has been tested for things and UTD on vaccinations and whatnot

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Great! If you can afford it, then 2 cats are a lot better than one! Usually kittens get along well really fast with some careful introduction. Then prepare yourself for loads of kitten fun! :D

On the side note: It's beneficial to switch your cats to better food, and definitely more (if not all) canned food. You may spend more money on food, but in long run it may save you a lot on vet bills :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Emmy is currently on a mostly canned diet. I mix less than a handful of dry into each of her 3 daily meals. She eats better with it mixed in. I think this new kitty is on entirely dry so if I do get her she will be switched over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.