Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 y/o spayed female is having her 2nd UTI in 5 months. It was an ecoli infection last time. Not sure yet about this time

All her blood levels came back normal--no organ failure is seen and vet doesnt really think she has cancer by his exam.

He mentioned crystals in her urine is a possiblity. She did have alot more blood this time in her urine. Last time there was none.

I had switche her to all wet cat food since last episode. This time vet is recommending out right chicken and on occasion maybe some salmon

Any insights, advise from you guys? They didnt do a urinalysis cause I brought her in late yesterday and they only collect urine in the AM. I couldnt bring her back in this morning. (I dont drive due to disability and couldnt arrange a ride)

Looking for any feedback or suggestions from any of you. Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
What kind of wet food are you feeding? I would stay away from salmon or fish varieties of wet food! Stick with grain-free if you can.

"The fish used in canned pet foods usually includes bones, and are high in phosphorus and magnesium, which can be an issue in cats with a history of urinary tract disorders or kidney disease. In practice I have seen quite a few cats develop urinary tract infections and blockages if they eat much fish–even boneless fish."

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhh....Update and anxious...

The vet told me to give the full bottle of Clavamox so that is what I did. But unlike last time, it wasnt a 14 day cycle.

A couple of days later, her symptoms returned. So I called the vet immediately. Her normal vet is on vacation, but his associates (which include his daughter) put her back on Clavamox and told me to give her the added days to make a 14 days cycle..

Does that sound ok? Being on it until the bottle was gone, missing a couple of days and symptoms return, then going back on it to make 14 days?

They said to call them and let them know how she is doing after the 14 days.

Im nervous....

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Unless a urine CULTURE (NOT just a urinalysis) was run on a STERILE urine sample (collected by cystocentesis) BEFORE starting her on Clavamox, your vet was just shooting in the dark putting her on Clavamox, anyway. There's a good chance that IF she actually has a UTI, the infective organism may not even be fully sensitive to Clavamox. It's possible that an infective organism is knocked back enough by Clavamox to make her feel better while she's taking it, but as soon as Clavamox is stopped, the infection flares right back up again. In that case, she would need a different antibiotic targeted to her specific infection. BUT, you won't know exactly which organism is causing the infection or which antibiotic can effectively kill it without a urine culture.

There's also a possibility that she doesn't have an infection at all. She may only have crystals, which would be obvious by checking a urine sample under a microscope. The trick there is to make sure that the sample is analyzed immediately after collection, since ALL urine develops crystals the longer it sits outside of the body.

Or she may have interstitial cystitis. This is inflammation of unknown origin of the urinary tract with NO infection and NO crystals. This is often caused by stress and is actually the most common cause of inappropriate urination and blood in urine. If the urine culture shows no bacteria, and the urine sample shows no crystals, then you've got interstitial cystitis. If I understood your post correctly, no urine culture or urinalysis under the microscope has been performed, so your vet really doesn't know what he's dealing with.

Laurie

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad. Left out information.

The UTI she had 5 months ago was an E.Coli baterial infection. Hense, the Clavamox.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My bad. Left out information.

The UTI she had 5 months ago was an E.Coli baterial infection. Hense, the Clavamox.
But that was last time. If the infection was brought on by too much licking due to something like crystals (very common) or even inflammation (cystitis) that is why the e coli was found (from the excess licking)

I agree with the other poster. She needs a urine culture, but it needs to be done after the clavamox is completely out of her system.

I also agree with the poster who said NO FISH.

Grain free is best for cats with urinary tract problems. No fruits or veggies either. High meat content is what keeps the urine at the proper acidity (6.5) for cats.

If it is being caused by inflammation rather than crystals, keeping stress at a minimum, feeding a rotation of proteins instead of just chicken (no fish) and installing a feliway diffuser can help.

Where is her litter box? As cats age sometimes arthritis sets in, and if she has to travel some distance to get to her litter box she may be prone to hold it, which could cause this type of problem. Provide a low sided (easy to get into) litter box in a place that she can get to quickly and easily.

I'm glad her blood work came back normal, but I would also recommend checking it again in a couple of months. Kidney failure doesn't show up on lab work until the kidneys are 75% gone, and sometimes these repeat infections are indicative of early kidney disease.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update especially if anyone every googles " e.coli UTI " looking for answers or suggestions.

In your research you will most likely come across the following suggestions.

1)Get off all kibble
2) Cosequin for bladder health
3) Probiotics
and the big one
4) d.mannose

I am having good results will the above; esp the d.mannose but it is important to point out it only works with UTI's the are due to e.coli.

Anti-bios were used with my cat's original UTI in March and the recurrent one she recently had.

Good luck. Im hoping the d.mannose (administered daily) will have good preventative qualities as is suggested in all that I researched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts