Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted 3 weeks ago about my trip to the vets which I was annoyed about this time I was pleasantly surprised... Did his shot, did hid microchip said he was looking well, checked teeth said they are fine just would fall out in a couple of months... No talk of food or anything...

He checked him for fleas and said no sign of any no flea dirt or anything then suddenly one jumped out?! The vet seemed genuinely surprised there was just a random one and no signs of infestation... I have no other pets and he hasn't been outside he gave him a spot on treatment (for free!!) just in case... Xxx

What would people suggest re fleas? I have a collar downstairs but have read bad things on here and any ideas how he got one random flea??? Xx

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
He's been treated so I wouldn't panic. As you said he doesn't go out. It may have found him in the waiting room or from the vet from a previous patient.

My guys have never had a flea among then and never a flea treatment. It's been 5 years...........

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Fleas can come into your home on your clothing, so it's easy enough for an inside-only animal to get fleas.

The spot-on that the vet applied should take care of a minor flea problem, but if you want to be safe, pick up more spot-on from your vet and apply it according to directions. I would NOT recommend a flea collar or any other flea products not specifically recommended by your vet. In the U.S., anyway, there are many flea products on retail store shelves that are dangerously toxic to cats and dogs.

Laurie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think of that? Quite possibly i suppose as he could only have had them a short while for there only to be one... I'll do a full inspection tonight... Cats fur is so annoying and lynx is black so full of visible dust... X I just don't want a flea infestation! He's only 12 weeks! X

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
978 Posts
We had a flea outbreak last year. No matter how many times we washed the dogs and cleaned everything, they just wouldn't go away. We figured out they were coming on someone from another house. Once they quit going there, we were able to rid of them.

We tried a holistic approach at first but it didn't work. We ended up vacuuming everything and using borax powder on the floors before vacuuming. We bathed the animals and put Frontline Plus on them. You can buy Frontline Plus and Advantage II without a prescription now. I choose Advantage II for my cat because it has lower rates of adverse effects and she's not going to come into contact with ticks. I probably won't be using anymore once we run out now that the fleas are gone.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Fleas can easily get anywhere - e.g. one can come in on the clothes of a visitor even if you never let them out - with all the animls that pass throuh a vets, it is easy for a patient to pick up an anwanted visitor but you seem to have completely nipped any problem in the bud.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm glad your vet visit went much better this time! Personally, I don't use anything on my kitties for fleas and haven't had a problem, as they never go outside and I'm not exactly the outdoorsy type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts