Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually when I can't fall asleep it is one of three things, each with a different remedy.
My brain won't turn off, in which case I get up and write a list of the things swirling in my head so I can fall asleep knowing I won't forget them and they'll be waiting for me in the morning to address.
Health problems, and I just have to wait for them to work their course.
Hungry, so I will get up and either have hot Ovaltine (w/ Bailey's in winter) and toast or a few saltine crackers and water. Just enough to make my belly not feel so empty.

*just finished some crackers and water, off to try to get to sleep.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I work shifts so my sleep 'schedule' changes every week. Beer and television usually puts me out. When that fails I do these foot stretching exercises that I found on a holistic insomnia cures website years ago. It's supposed to relax and tune the whole body for sleep, and it actually works most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
I have one of those little daily calendars that are New York Times crossword puzzles, so I'll work on one or two or three until I get tired. My RLS is out of control right now. Finally fell asleep around 4 a.m. this morning and Cleo threw up an hour later. Second night in a row. And, yes, she's the kitty who shares my pillow.

Stop laughing.

At least this morning, the hairball came with it. :?

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
Oh, believe me, I wake up at the first gag, but couldn't get her off the bed in time either night. :? She's just a two-gagger and it's over.

Cinderella, on the other hand, has a marching band, an emcee, and a special guest list for her hairballs. It's a big production number.

Wow, I've gone horribly off topic. :oops:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Best off topic post ever though :lol:

I read a bit, or I listen to some nice relaxing music, or I stick on a dvd.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I can't sleep, I design things in my head. I'm currently "working" on the best hedgehog home ever, with warming pads, digging boxes, painted backgrounds, a real lawn area and twinkling star lights at night. I also have mental plans for a bridge & skyscraper cat tree extravaganza so Giz can play Godzilla, and a pirate-themed crow's nest scratching-pole/climbing tree.

I really should sketch them out some day, maybe even build them. :)

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got NO sleep at all last night. Just up/down and tossing/turning.

I know WHY, though.... I'm certain it was the Mr. Pibb sodapop I had with dinner at the restaurant. I know better than to have soda after 4pm... I bet my nap today will be a doozy!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If I'm stressed, I make a list, too :) If I'm achy, I reflop all of my pillows in different positions on the other end of the bed and then reflop myself. If my mind's busy...I spend lottery winnings too :lol: I know exactly how much I'll give to friends and family and charity, but I haven't decided what I'll spend my share on yet. If I'm depressed or upset, I get online and distract myself until my eyes burn and head nods and I can't think straight and I'm so tired I want to die. Then sometimes I can sleep.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I have insomnia too. Last night was a doozy. What is it about last night that we all couldn't sleep? I didn't even have a cat throwing up at my head.

Two thoughts: Is it cold enough in your room? I find nights I can't sleep, I sometimes can fall asleep quickly if I make it colder, like turning the ceiling fan on a faster spin. Secondly, I think of something detailed, like how I would renovate the house if money were no object.

·
Banned
804 Posts
lol Nate and I had insomnia so bad last night >.< both os us for the 2nd night in a row wide awake in bed chatting like best friends at a sleepover...

when we had nothing left to talk about we started a game of 20 questions...

he thought of something...like an oil rigger or leopard...and i had 20 questions to find out what it is with him only answering yes or no...

"is it on land?"
"yes"
"Is it alive?"
"no"

i dont remember the last one cause we both passed out but i know i got him so bad with mine...I was thinking of a "rock"

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I had horrible Insomnia last night as well. I ended up getting out of bed and crashing on the futon for a while with the TV on. Finally I fell asleep but woke back up probably 2 hours later and decided I better go back in the bedroom so I can hear my alarm. It took me about an hour to get back to bed. In all I got probably 5 hours of sleep and when I had to get up this morning I was sooo tired I felt like I could sleep all day...figures.

·
Registered
560 Posts
When I can't sleep I usually stay up and watch tv for a little bit hoping I get tired. Also another things that I find makes me sleepy is soaking my feet in warm water with one of those foot messagers. You can get them at Walmart for $20.00
I usually wake up, either because the chinchilla's are being loud or my mind is just going.

·
Registered
243 Posts
October said:
I think Sunday nights are especially bad. It's something about the impending week at work.
I agree. If I'm going to have a bad night it will be Sunday night.
My mind keeps telling me "You MUST get to sleep"
And the heat too. 10-00pm and it was 80F here. 8O
Last night I dragged the portable fan into the bedroom, I dont like sleeping with the a/c on.

I usually have a read, that gets my eyes drooping.

Mick.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Clear your head of all thoughts and pop a 3mg. Melatonin [a 'naturally' occurring sleep enducer. Get it wherever vitamins are sold]. Cool the room down with the ac or a fan blowing. Drink a couple glasses of wine [or beer].

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I like a mug of hot chocolate, drank in a room with the a/c set to 69 degrees F. :)
Oh, and always use milk instead of water with the hot chocolate mix.
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
243 Posts
Smirkitty said:
oklahomegrownveg said:
I usually have a read, that gets my eyes drooping.

If I start reading, I'm up all night. I must finish the book. Must....!
I've just started re-reading James Michiners "Alaska" as a form of psychic cooling :D

If I were to try and finish that tome in one session I'd lose a couple of nights sleep. 8O

Mic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts