Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old ragdoll which seems to be pretty bored at home since she BEGS for attention whenever somebody is home. I brought home 3 Himalayan kittens, all 10weeks old. The first thing I did was shower the one by one. When done showering the first one, I brought her to the ragdoll's room. The ragdoll was non stop hissing and growling and followed the poor baby around like prey. I then locked the ragdoll out of her own room so I can continue showering the other kittens. One by one I brought them in the room. I then opened the door and the raggy wouldn't go in and got kind of scared since it's 3on1 but after slowly observing them in a predator-like position, the raggy started approaching them, hissing and growling, then came physical contact. The three himalayans don't even care about the raggy but the raggy got really mad watching them play with her toys, sleep on her bed, and eat from her bowl. I then seperated them and locked the 3 kitties in my own room. She was chasing the himalayans which was hiding and trembling under the furnitures all over the house. Now the raggy seems to have pms. She jumped on my laps and I petted her but she seemed to give me some irritated, angry meows which I never heard before so I stopped petting her. Then she went away and slept somewhere else. I'm so worried right now. My raggy is acting so weird. Hope this isn't permanent.

I know I shouldn't have introduced them like that and should have let them get used to each other's smell by putting them in seperate rooms and swapping beddings, but I thought my raggie which is usually so friendly towards human guests would welcome the kitties in just as well. She usually jumps on strangers' laps when she seems them. Today she's acting weird and made sounds that I've never heard of. Even before I brought the kitties in, her appetite dropped but that could be because I just recently switched cat food. I'm so concerned that something might be wrong with her.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
new kittens

You say you knew what you should have done, didn't do it, and thus created chaos! Surprise!! :roll:

Now you have to start over, immediately. Separate the kittens and proceed with the introduction slowly and properly, as it you know you should have to start with :wink: .

Look at it from your ragdoll's point of view. When you were a child, what would you have thought if your mom suddenly brought home three other kids, put them in your bedroom, fed them out of your favorite cup, and gave them all your toys?! I think you would have been pretty freaked out. And, no matter how nice and generous a child you may have been, you'd probably be pretty mad at your mom, too! Your cat received a severe shock, she knows the kittens are still there, in her mind they constitute a serious threat to her status and territory, and she knows you're responsible for the problem! It's going to take time and care to get past this one!

For more info on creating a base camp for the kittens and proper introduction process, please see articles in our free library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library

1 - 2 of 2 Posts