Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey everybody,

I've been very busy lately. Finishing my master's degree.

Yesterday a friend of mine called me. Actually she is not even my friend. She was the girlfriend of a friend of ours (my bf and I). And they actually broke up a few weeks ago. I had seen this girl like 2 or 3 times...anyway, she called me very embarrassed -she was like "Hi, I know we barely know each other, but...." to tell me she found four kittens inside a box, outside her work place. Her boss said "don't you think of leaving those animals here". She hid them under her desk until lunch time. Then she took them home and called her dad.

Long story short, she had no idea what to do. She was even afraid to handle them. When she called me she was back to work (dad with the kittens at her apartment) and she was desperate. Dad was trying to feed them milk (cow) with a cotton ball. It wasn't working, of course.

So I grabbed some stuff and went to her place (awkward, dad opened the door, of course we didn't know each other!). I was ready with some formula, a kitten bottle and a heating pad, all old grabs from when I rescued the roof feral kittens (Rulos among them). But roof feral kittens were 2 weeks old, and these little ones...I would say 2 or 3 days. What do you think (I took 3 pics with my phone). They were all covered in dirt. I cleaned them the best I could. No fleas as far as I saw...I hope that's true. It seems to me they are all boys, but 2 of them were so dirty I couldn't tell.

My "friend", her name is Patty, arrived home soon after that and I taught her how to prepare the formula and feed them and make them pee. She became confident enough to handle them and feed them by herself. I left the heating pad for them.

Today it is a holiday here, so she's with the babies at home. Tomorrow she has to go back to work, so I offered to foster the kittens starting tonight until Friday night, when she's coming to get them back.

I don't have experience with kittens this small. I saw Ice and brothers being born, and these ones still have their umbilical cord, so I would say they are definitely not older than 4 days the most. Patty called me and she said they are eating A LOT (they must have been starving).

I'm thinking of taking them to my vet tomorrow. I don't know. What do you think. Also any advice or idea is most than welcomed.

So...here I am again, co-fostering little ones...I'm a little bit anxious/nervous. I have the bathroom ready, and everything else worked out. My bf freaked out 'cause he though we were adopting more cats :lol:
I hope my boys behave.
Thank you for reading and for your help guys!

And if you allow me, let me say: ******** heartless people who abandoned those little ones in the middle of the street. If it wasn't very hot here in Santiago now, they would be dead.

cuteness overload 8-O

·
Registered
189 Posts
so CUTE!!!
I have fostered little ones before but not this little. What heartless person does that ugh. Seems to me you have it all down already. Just keep them warm and with tummys full. You know barriga llena corazon contento :). Good luck and keep those pics coming :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have more experience with newborns and small kittens than I do with older ones. It seems like you have everything down pretty well. Keep them warm, feed them as often as they'll eat (until they start looking/feeling a little healthier, who knows how long they went without food!) and stimulate for potty time a bit after eating. So yeah, you've got it all down. I'd take them into see a vet, if it were me. Just to make sure everything's golden. A warm washcloth for a little bath is good also. I've never bathed a kitten under 2 weeks old.. So, not sure about a full bath.

Anywho, they are adorable little ones. So lucky they found you and your friend!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not to be a pessimist in the otherwise happy moment... but I guess you better know with some warning, rather than be totally shocked and dismayed later.

Since these kitties did go for an unknown time without food and proper heat, they might already have internal damage. Some kittens seem to do just fine and thrive when rescued, only to suddenly become very sick and/or die a couple weeks later when the internal organs fail from being too weak from initial damage.

Not saying they WILL have this happen... just letting you know, in case it does.
Good luck, and thanks so much for helping take care of them! ^_^

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to be a pessimist in the otherwise happy moment... but I guess you better know with some warning, rather than be totally shocked and dismayed later.

Since these kitties did go for an unknown time without food and proper heat, they might already have internal damage. Some kittens seem to do just fine and thrive when rescued, only to suddenly become very sick and/or die a couple weeks later when the internal organs fail from being too weak from initial damage.

Not saying they WILL have this happen... just letting you know, in case it does.
Good luck, and thanks so much for helping take care of them! ^_^
Oh gosh. Thanks for telling me that Vivid. I guess there's nothing I can do to be prepared if it happens :( but knowing is at least something. I hope they can make it...
I will definitely take them to my good vet tomorrow. It is very hot here (well, at least for me 30°C is very hot) so I guess they'll be ok with the trip to the vet. I actually emailed her and she said she'll be waiting for me tomorrow, and that she won't charge a cent. She's the best.

Thank you guys. I started feeling a little bit sad now, I don't know why.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Good luck with the little ones, maybe you've found a new friend who you can teach the ropes on what it means to be a cat lover.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sorry I made you feel sad! :(

The lady that started the rescue group I volunteer with has had it happen a few times (but she's fostered DOZENS of abandoned newborns), and mentions it to other new foster parents, just so they know that it wasn't something they did wrong...just a part of nature's whole "Life isn't always fair" trait.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey there

Yup looks like ya got some newborns there :) I have immediate experience with raising little ones. Tucker and his sister Sasha were abandoned at three days old. We lost Sasha at the two week mark, but tucker just turned eight weeks, got his shots, and met his pseudo sister, Kyra. Remember not to let them get too hot either. Feed them every 1-2 hours around the clock as much as they will eat. They will not over eat. If they are dehydrated, sub q fluids will be needed. If they start acting odd, do not hesitate! Get them to a vet ASAP! They fade so quick.

You are in for quite an experience! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am not on here all the time so email if you want or pm me and I'll give you my phone number. :) or if you just want to talk while you are up at all hours of the night. :p you have fostered kits before so I am sure you will do fine. Is the umbilical cord dry? If so they are around three days, if wet they are way younger and have not had colostrum even. Let's hope they are three to four days old for their sake.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey :)

It is dry, so I hope they had colostrum too!
I just fed them again. One of them would not eat much. He is very little. I am so worried about him. When are you supposed to start force feeding them? Are you?
I am going to the vet at 3 pm. I hope she can help with this little one. He's definitely the runt.
Oh and all of them are pooping and peeing. Poop is some sort of yellowish slimy thing, not firm. Is that a bad sign?

I'll try and sleep for an hour. 9:30 new feeding time. Thank you Pixall! You are very sweet :)
It is ok Vivid! Don't worry. I just got sad 'cause I remembered I stopped believing in humanity long time ago. Who would abandon such little babies? They have no fleas, so I'm sure they come from a house. Someone put them there.

Ok, sleep, zzz......

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is nothing what can excuse behaviour like that! I would not be able to leave newborns like that! Just let them on the street like a trash!
something like that can make me very angry.

Good luck with kittens! Let us knowwhen you will be back fromt he vet!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
It's really abominable behavior, especially at Christmas time.
Where's the charity to our fellow creatures who we share this world.
I have a book by Martha Stout called "The Sociopath Next Door" that put forth that 4% of the population are sociopaths, they lack a conscience and empathy for their fellow humans and animals and basically do whatever they want without feeling guilty.
I've had several people who fit this description cross my path during my life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aww they are adorable and definitely look a few days old. It's very hard to keep them alive at this ago but it's definitely possible :) I took my kitty Luigi when she was 1-2 days old, 3 ounces and still had her cord attached. She was found on a construction site on a freezing March day. The workers found her lying under a car on freezing concrete in the morning, but didn't want to touch her in case the mother came back. She layed out there freezing for over 8 hours. They brought her to me at 5pm :( Everyone kept telling me that she probably won't make it, but she is now a grown adult kitty :) It's a good thing there is more than one as well, they can keep each other warm. I had mine set up in a crate with a heating pad inside (leave an area that is not heated in case they get too they can crawl) I also put a plush cat toy inside that was made for abandoned kittens. It had a heartbeat and Luigi would cuddle with it as if it was her mom. Up until she was 4 weeks old I did a feeding every 1-2 hrs day and night and made sure to stimulate her to go potty (poop was liquidy for a while). Make sure to change their towel/blankets each day because they tend to pee when they scoot around since it stimulates them. All the hard work paid off! I wish you luck and I will hope for the best! Let me know if you have any questions. I wanted to share a good story to give you encouragement :) Here are some pictures of Luigi then and now
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Gerbil Hand Finger Ear Muridae Cat Small to medium-sized cats Felidae Whiskers Comfort

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sweet Luigi! Thank you for the pictures :) I'm happy he made it.

Well, I took them to the vet and she said the three strong ones are perfect. But the little runt is not doing so well. He refuses to eat. The vet gave him (they are all boys) some formula with a syringe, but he just wouldn't swallow. She checked him thoroughly and it doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him (as far as she could see, of course)

She force fed him a little bit, but she said if he refuses to eat he'll just get weaker and weaker and die. She said he is way too young for tube feeding, and the reasons why he is refusing to eat can be so many we can now just speculate. It is very sad. He is so little and so thin.

The girl came get them a few hours ago...there's nothing more I can do, after all, she is the "owner". I did my best to feed the little one and he swallowed some formula. I don't know if the girl will be able to feed him, or if she has the determination or the "skills", gosh I don't know...I have lump my throat 'cause I don't trust she can take care of him and I think he won't make it. But I don't know if I can do something for him myself either.

I offered to take care of him alone if she wanted to. She said she'll call tomorrow. So we'll see.

So bittersweet...my bf tries to comfort me telling me they live now because of what I did, and if the little one dies, it is what it was meant to be, and that at least he'll go in a warm bed with love and respect and not in that dirty box in the middle of the street. Well now I'm officially crying.

Some pictures of the little boys

The black one

White face

Tiger

And the little one, who looks just like the tiger.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gosh if you were closer I would steal the white face when he was weaned.. He looks so much like little Sasha... She knows to feed around the clock? Honestly as sad as it is sometimes they just don't make it. Sasha and tuck had been to the vet three times before they were two weeks and everything was perfect up until maybe four hours before she passed. I will never forget my little angel. Her ears opened in time for us To say our goodbyes and make sure she knew she was loved. Even if the little one passes, he has known that not all people are scum and I firmly believe he will be waiting at the bridge for his angels. I know sasha is there waiting. Hugs.

Pix

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Little one died two hours ago, Patty called me.
So sorry for the poor little one, sometime nothing can be done for a newborn that won't eat and thrive, sending good wishes for the remaining 3 to make it.
At least the little one didn't have to die alone in the streets, he might not have survived even if he'd remained with his mother.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts