Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my cat had 4 kittens back in May.

It's coming quite close to the time when they're old enough to be given away ... BUT I LOVE THEM ALL! It's so hard ...

There's one I called Pixie (cuz she's so devilish and mischievous) who is "spoken for" already. She absolutely adores me. Yeah she nips (hard) and she likes to claw up my arm (ouch) to sit on my shoulder and purr like a mack truck ... *sniffle*

But I'm going to miss her, bite wounds and scratch marks and all.

My bf likes two other kittens. One he calls Booger (cuz she always has boogers in her nose), and the other one he calls Puppy (cuz he acts like one). He's thinking of keeping those two.

It's entirely his decision, because my cat, Gizmo, loves me unconditionally, and he is my one-kitty-love. (Plus he's jealous and gets all pouty when he sees one of the kittens with me). My bf needs a cat (or two) to love and be loved the same way. (Aegee, the mom and technically his cat, is not very affectionate. Or even nice for that matter.)

He says I can keep them all if I want, but I know that the litter box situation, hair/allergy situation, and the food running out like water will soon tax on our tempers. It's just not practical for us.

How did you guys, who have had kittens born, dealt with the pain of giving them away? Pixie's not even gone yet but my heart is already breaking ...

Z.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
When Vienna had 6 kittens it was hard.
For starts I didnt give them away, and please dont GIVE then away. Charge something for them.
I charged £25 a kitten, after I frontlined and wormed them. Pretty steep price for a moggy, but I knew then anybody would take them. Anyone can fancy a kitten and take a free one. People think twice when they have to pay- esp how much I charged!

Its difficult to sell them, in the end we kept 3 of the 6. It was nearly 4, but someone came and bought him at the last minute. In a way im glad because we couldnt really afford to keep that many. I nearly cried when Honey went. She would run away from you, didnt want to be held or nothing but she was my fave. I couldnt beleive the day we sold her, earlier on she came to me and slept on me- which was a first.
Its difficult, but you have to think of the finacial situation, and the care you can provide.
Make sure you get your female spayed aswell so you dont have this problem again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my kittens are going to people I know. I do NOT want a stranger having one of my kittens!!

So I'm not charging for them except for costs of shots, etc. Except Pixie. She's a gift so she's a lovable freebie.

Pixie is going to my bf's friend so I'll be able to see her and keep tabs on her. Her cat recently (couple weeks ago) ran away and hasn't been found and she's really upset ... Pixie will have a good home.

If we don't find homes for the other 3 kittens they'll be here to stay. And they'll be loved and taken care of, but 5 cats in the house is a bit much (at least for us). I can't imagine what cleaning the litter boxes will be like when they're all fully grown!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts