Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old male kitten is always hungry and I am wondering if I'm feeding him too much. What is the normal amount you're supposed to feed a kitten at his age? I have heard everything from four times a day to two times a day. He has a bowl of dry kibble that I leave out for him to graze on throughout the day whenever he wants, he occasionally eats the kibble but mostly pesters me every time I walk into the kitchen for his wet food, which he likes more. At first, I was giving him half a can in the morning and half a can at night, and he had his kibble available all day long and throughout the night in his bedroom.

Now, he is clawing at me and meowing up a frenzy every time I walk into the kitchen to make my own food even more. So I have started giving him another half of a can 4-5 hours after he had his breakfast. In total, he is eating 1 and 1/2 cans of wet food per day and snacking on dry kibble once or twice a day and throughout the night. The size of the cans are those small fancy feast ones (3 oz). He is large for his age, I don't mean fat, I mean his entire body is big in comparison to other 4 month old kittens I've seen.

He doesn't look fat, you can see him in my account picture if you're curious. Am I feeding him too much or is this normal? I know once they are adults, the internet said they should have 2 cans a day.

·
Super Moderator
26,738 Posts
Your kitten is sleek and gorgeous. There really aren't any rules about how much to feed. Some people believe that you should feed kittens all the food they want for the first year. And many websites selling cat food will advise feeding cats in general more than they need - because they want to sell more of their products.

I relied on my vet for advice. And I could bring the twins by any time to get them weighed.

Reactions: BubbyWubby

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! My boy had 2 x 95g sachets a day, plus unlimited dry biscuits, up until he was about 8 months old, then his appetite dropped off a little.

Are you feeding kitten food? It is more calorific than adult food. However, my boy went off kitten food so we switched to adult at around 9 months, he ate a little more frequently then (3 x 50g sachets/day, plus biscuits). He's a year old this month and has 2 x 50g sachets a day, plus biscuits and a bit of fish if the dog is having that for dinner.

I thin if he's hungry, and you know it's not worms/something underlying, let him eat all he needs at this age :) He's beautiful by the way!

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
80 Posts
Definitely rule out worms. If you are already working him frequently (every two to three weeks for a growing kitten), check that your wormer covers tapeworm. Worms will make him excessively hungry, but no matter how much you feed he won't gain much weight.

Other than that, I think you have a little leeway seeing as he is a kitten, and most of his fat stores will be spent on growing anyways. Best of luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
If your vet checks him out to be OK, don't worry a bit.
My cat had a bottomless stomach and massive food craving pretty much 24 hours a day when he was a kitten. Once he settled into adult catdom, that ended, although he still has a healthy attitude at 10. And is not fat.
To me, the health if the cat is the first thing to consider, second being what the cat prefers. If the cat is healthy and lean, no reason not to feed him all he wants. Especially if he is growing into a big cat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Kittens need a lot of calories because they are growing fast. They have tiny stomachs, so that’s why we break it into several meals a day. So, it’s more about how many calories total and then breaking that down into small, manageable meals.

Kittens should have about 2.5 times the calories of an adult cat the same weight (until they are roughly 7 months and then it’s about twice the amount). I will add a link to a calorie chart. Also, take a look at the feeding recommendation on your bag or can of kitten food, or “all life stages” food. Many recommend feeding young kittens all they will eat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With Boone and Gracie, I noticed they let me know how much/how often to feed them. As tiny babies, I would give about 4 meals a day. Then I noticed they weren't eating all of it so I went down to 3 times a day. Now at just over a year, it's twice a day in 12 hour intervals. I also have dry food out for snacking but it takes several days for that to need a refill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I leave dry food out too but I worry about it going stale. How long does it take for kibble to go stale if you leave it in the bowl all day? Usually he eats all of it by day 2-3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts