Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rescued Baby yesterday and we gave her some milk replacer we bought at Pets smart yesterday.She sucked from tiny bottle but she also licked it out of a plate, also gave her a little it of can food, because she was starving, also she licked water.
PROBLEM: last night her stool was soft and yellow and also today.In fact I had to hold her under water to try to clean it off along with the litter that had stuck to her back legs, before we could hold her.Were holding her in a towel.

My huisband says Carnation milk mixed with a little karo syrup is good too.does anyone know the formula or anything else we should do?I dont really want to give her can food so i am going to go get some kitten chow to soak and make soft.The petsmart stuff said only give 2 tb, thats not very much i would like to give her the milk till shes full

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
The yellow stool is likely from the milk replacer and diarrhea just from eating a new foods. I would keep her on the canned food. If you buy dry kibbble tho, make sure it's no-grain--no rice, wheat, corn, soy. Cats are carnivores by nature and don't need to eat it. Any food changes with kittens, or any cats, should be done gradually over several days a little at a time to avoid digestive upset. Good luck with you new little girl.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Just rescued Baby yesterday and we gave her some milk replacer we bought at Pets smart yesterday.She sucked from tiny bottle but she also licked it out of a plate, also gave her a little it of can food, because she was starving, also she licked water.
PROBLEM: last night her stool was soft and yellow and also today.In fact I had to hold her under water to try to clean it off along with the litter that had stuck to her back legs, before we could hold her.Were holding her in a towel.

My huisband says Carnation milk mixed with a little karo syrup is good too.does anyone know the formula or anything else we should do?I dont really want to give her can food so i am going to go get some kitten chow to soak and make soft.The petsmart stuff said only give 2 tb, thats not very much i would like to give her the milk till shes full
With a 4 week old kitten I would make up some glop if the kitten poo continues to be runny from the KMR supplement milk. There are lots of variations of Glop on the internet. I choose one close to what we use.
Easy Homemade Kitty Glop Recipe

I would also buy some Bene-Bac and give it to your kitten to help in its digestion. PetAg Small Animal Bene-Bac (Beneficial Bacteria) at PETCO

Make sure the kitten is kept warm. Offer it soft kitten food to see if it will eat it. If you want to go to dry food once this kitten is stable and healthy offer it royal Canin Baby Cat 36. They are small kitten bite size nuggets.

Thank you for rescuing this helpless baby kitten. You in for a lot of work and even more fun!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Opps ~Forgot to mention. DO NOT use clumping litter. It can kill a kitten. Sometimes kittens like to eat it. Use SWheat or Worlds Best type litter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all advice.I am in our med size bathroom sitting with her trying to get her use to my presence(which she is now) she seems to be feeling alot better and last night she started playing with a ball for the first time and actually showing signs of a playful kitten.
Scared me about the cat litter! but she has not been eating it.I will look for the other kind at our Pets smart.We do not have a Petco.Also I will get some Bene-Bac.As far as the dry food I got some kitty chow(purina) and she has been eating it.I will look for the other also.She still has the diarrea and I think its probably just all the foods she getting now.Wouldnt the can food not help?My friend gave me some antibotic and said to give her .25 twice a day but i havent been yet,she had a little sneeze but yesterday and today it has sorta gone a way.She seems healthy and bright eye.I wish i could post a picture

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Thank you for all advice.I am in our med size bathroom sitting with her trying to get her use to my presence(which she is now) she seems to be feeling alot better and last night she started playing with a ball for the first time and actually showing signs of a playful kitten.
Scared me about the cat litter! but she has not been eating it.I will look for the other kind at our Pets smart.We do not have a Petco.Also I will get some Bene-Bac.As far as the dry food I got some kitty chow(purina) and she has been eating it.I will look for the other also.She still has the diarrea and I think its probably just all the foods she getting now.Wouldnt the can food not help?My friend gave me some antibotic and said to give her .25 twice a day but i havent been yet,she had a little sneeze but yesterday and today it has sorta gone a way.She seems healthy and bright eye.I wish i could post a picture
Benebac can be purchased at Petsmart or online too.

Kittens get diarrhea for lot of reasons. The smaller they are the more serious it is. Kittens can dehydrate quickly. Keep an eye on her. Yes food changes can give a kitten diarrhea. And if a food is too rich. KMR gives kittens Ive bottle fed diarrhea sometimes but Im not sure why. That is why we use Glop a lot. Which we have had better luck with.

Don't give your kittens that antibiotic for just a few sneezes. Antibiotic strip their intestines of valuable bacteria it need for digesting. That is what the benebac is for. It really help compromised kittens who need a jump start

If your kitten is ready to eat you can offer it soft food first. You can mix some milk in with it. Usually at around 6 weeks that they start to go for food.

Sound like your doing a good job. Keep giving her lots of socialization and love. That is as important as a good diet. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Its been raining here FINALLY after months.I am fixing to turn the horses out and then go to Petsmart for the bene bac.She is so sweet....Its neat to see her get less and less scared of noise and human touch.I think she may be older than i thought. maybe 6 wks because she has teeth.She is drinking water and carnation milk( deluted) also she seemed to like the dry food not softened.I've got a radio on in the bathroom for her to get used to sound (talk show)Shes starting to come towards me and ask for attention:)

I've been just playing on the computer trying to figure out posting pictures and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts