Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my girl had 3 kittens nearly a week ago, all of which were under 70 grams, the smallest a minute 44 grams.
not only is she tiny, and obviously a premmy ( soft nails, sparse hair) her wrists are fused in a 90 angle ( flexed ) to her radius. i have been doing physiotherapy to straighten them several times a day.
but the biggest shock was her COLOUR. she is a colourpoint russian !
i have heard this can happen, but i did not think it would happen to me !
We have nicknamed her Jellybean.

we did have a bit of a bad day on sunday, little Jellybean seemed to be fighting to breath , much like when she was first born. She was not gasping or open mouth panting, but taking very deep heavy breaths. She was still able to nurse but seems weaker and less interested.

When Anushka lies down for feeding, the blues immediately make their way to her side, find a nipple and start feeding. Poor little jellybean is slow to get to mum because of those crook legs, she falls over and onto her back and struggles to right herself. By the time she gets there , she has to fight her way through the other kittens, source out a nipple that is avaiable, and try to latch on. In the mean time the other kittens squabble or move around, pushing her or knocking her off a nipple. Or anushka will stretch out or roll over a bit more, causing Jellybean to drop off.
After all that, she may only get an average of 2 minutes of feeding time !

SO I have been home all week, checking on the babies every couple of hours, making sure that Jellybean has at least 10 minute feeding sessions uninterrupted by the other kittens.
This has helped her put on more weight and she is doing very well today.

Has anyone had a kitten as tiny as this survive ??? I heard of a devon that was born only 29 grams and survived. I think that would have to be a world record ! :eek:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
44 gram kitten - survived

Oh what a teeny tiny little baby :!: I do hope she continues to do well.
Keep us posted.

seashell

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A little miracle :) Not only so tiny but with a rare colour (in russians at least). I hope she pulls through.

I had a small babyboy that only weighed 50 grams but he pulled thorugh all by himself, wihtout any help from me. He ate when all his brothers were asleep :p

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I want her! What a little angel -- I am praying for her.

Fun fact about colorpoint russians:

This gene became part of the Russian Blue lines when after WWII, the breeders crossed existing Russian Blues to Blue Point Siamese in an attempt to save the Russian Blue breed from extinction. Once in the gene pool, it still pops up every now in then when certain lines carrying the recessive are bred together.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congratulations- what an absolutely gorgeous kitten! :) I've never seen a colorpoint russian before.. she's going to be a beautiful cat. :)

(Anyone know how to convert grams to oz. for the mathematically challenged? :wink:)

Hope all is well on the kitten front.. keep us posted! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Jellybean finally opened her eyes !!!! she is 3 weeks old, but is obviously a week behind normal development.
She is still very small, but she is coming along nicely.
:lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
mismodliz said:
Thank you for updating - Please continue to let us know of her progress. What a sweetie!
Please do, I would love to see her grow big and strong.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
She's looking great -- I am so glad she has a great mom to take care of her. What a little angel. Just send her to me when she's ready, okay? ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts