Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love all my kitties - don't get me wrong....but our 5th and final cat, Banana....is driving me insane. Here is a bit of his history - or what we know of it.

He was brought to our local shelter as a stray, un-neutered cat. They fixed him, vaccinated him, and he was "on the floor" for 2 days before we adopted him. We brought him home and he was great with the other cats. My two girls are not thrilled with him, but no one really fights...they sleep on the same bed....life is great.

But between the hours of 4 and 9, my nannies is a complete *****. I've had cats my whole life and I don't even know if I've had one act like this. All he does is run. Before him, we had peaceful mornings....but now he's up on the bed, waking Whiskers up, getting him to play and run. They jump on everything, knock things over, torment the other cats. I've tried getting up and sitting with them and their toys to distract them, I've tried closing the bedroom door, and if it gets bad enough I will seperate them. I'm wondering if Nannies used to be an indoor/outdoor cat and he's still trying to adjust to living inside with other cats. Returning him to the shelter or letting him go outside are just not options. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that is going through this - and what ideas you have for positive reinforcement??? We have been having some really good mornings where he sleeps until about 7....and then its time for Momma to get up and play.

Here is the terror himself...

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Wow! Those are the eyes of a cat that needs maybe a little less Red Bull and a little more water! 8O

I don't know what to tell you. I have to kick Cleo out of the bedroom almost every morning at about 4-5 a.m. I don't know what her problem is. For two years, she was the perfect bed kitty, and now, I don't know what's up. She jumps on my nightstand and looks out the window, and the noise from the blinds wake me up. Then she leaps down and runs to the window in the office, then back, then rinse and repeat. Oh, and she throws in an attempted leap onto a window sill - and the window is closed - so there's the face-plant against glass thud a few times every morning.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
We took in an injured (broken leg) feral tomcat who turned out to be a FABULOUS housecat for us! However, the 4am Commando Raids he conducted upon all the other cats sleeping on the bed...were NOT fun. He'd run around the corner, through the doorway and peer just over the edge of the mattress to see who was close...and then he'd LEAP and POUNCE on his unsuspecting victim. As you can imagine, this aggitated everyone sleeping on the bed. Including the humans IN the bed. Not fun to wake up by having a frightened cat scramble across your face. I would yell at him. Slap my hand on the mattress to try to drive him away. I would throw pillows. I even got up to chase him one night. *I really fear I may have killed him if I caught him.* 8O Oh, he thought that was GREAT fun! Now the human is playing! So, the next night...he conducts his first Commando Raid and I got up as he gleefully raced out to the hall with his ears back, eyes all wide/wild and his tail happily curled over his back...and I shut the door and went back to sleep.

Now, only cats who can sleep quietly through the night get to sleep with us. Those who don't have plenty of places to choose from in the rest of the house. To help keep from getting awakened by boisterous cat rumbling up/down the hall, I use a noise machine to cover general noise. I can still hear the phone, doorbell, fire alarm, alarm clock and any crashes I need to get up and check out, but the cover-noise keeps me from losing much sleep just from kitties racing around with the Zoomies in Rocket-Butt Mode.

Oh, Marie. The Cleo-Face-Plant description made me LOL! I don't care who you, now that's funny right there! Oh, Lord, I apologize...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I type that out lastnight, he is completely fine this morning. Maybe it's an unspoken pact among cats that 4-8ish is a-hole time.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Cats are nocturnal, so they will normally be more active at night. I think after they live with us and become adjusted to our schedules, they sort of fall out of that habit. If your kitty is racing around at night, I'd say give him some time to mature and he may grow out of it. ...but then again, he may not.
I know, that wasn't much help and I'm sorry. Cats are cats and do as they please.
h

I found this site when I looked for nocturnal vs diurnal. This is discussing something to do with the actual make-up of the eyeball and the differences between a certain chemical compound found in the cornea, but it did specifically say housecats made great nocturnal subjects to study.
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/mido ... rences.htm
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/mido ... rences.htm

·
Registered
777 Posts
He is a very pretty boy looks like Tyson who I might add is the terror in my crew :luv

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
My cats have both been 'OK' at not waking me up. However, any time after 5 AM is fair game for Nito to start waking everyone for breakfast. If an alarm or cell phone goes off, he's awake and now everyone else has to wake up too and give him kibbles. Me and my boyfriend just do it, because he does NOT give him. He'll mrowwww and yowl until he gets fed.

The he eats, takes a snoozer, and an hour later he wakes up Chica to start shenanigans all over the bed. If I'm lucky, it's already 9 AM-ish by that time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got some relief lastnight. Ephron let me sleep until 5...then he wanted to eat. Papa had to get out of bed for that one - lol. I slept until 6:40 and my Nannies jumped up on the bed. They were pretty good, we put the air conditioner in, so they're trying to figure out what the new noise machine is!! 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has animals going around the indy 500 every morning! As soon as the sun's up our two cats and our little Chihuahua start racing around the house and the main turn around place is the bed. Up on the bed and across both of us and back down and around the house and back up on the bed, rinse and repeat.

This happens almost every morning unless I get up and close the door. I haven't found a good way to stop this yet :D

Must be nice to be a cat!

Mm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts