Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So we’ve been on the lookout for other cats while trying to decide if our resident cat Lucy would like a buddy. The first one we were interested in was adopted before we could get to the shelter, but we found a trio of kittens who were rejected by their momma after she came down with some unknown sickness. Two of the other kittens were claimed but this little guy wasn’t.

Poor little thing can’t be more than a couple months old and fits in the palm of my hand. So Lucy won’t come close to him, or to the door he’s behind, and when she does, she throws a fit, hisses at him and all of us and he returns in kind. Ive tried separate rooms, her smelling his scent, him smelling hers. She slashed my chin after smelling him on my hand, and he freaks out and tries to escape when smelling her. This is the second day. I have hopes of improvement. But the little guy, Rambo, won’t come out of his little box, barely eats and only licks or smells his food when his box is covered with a towel to shroud him in darkness. The vet diagnosed him with toxoplasmosis, so we are making sure litter boxes are strictly separated.

since it’s still cold here, we are keeping him on our electric carpet in the living room, under a huge laundry basket during the night with his litter box and water so he’ll be warm and still safe from Lucy.

And our sweet Lucy is now growling, hissing, and biting me and my kids whenever we’re around her, whether we smell like Rambo or not. She has never done this before, and two of my kids are now convinced Lucy hates them. We try to show more love to her, play with her a lot more and give her plenty of treats, but she’s making it hard to even get near her.

anyway, I’m feeling completely out of my element, (on our farm growing up, everyone got along, no matter how many new additions came) and I would love any and allllll advice you can offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Sorry to hear these two are getting off to a bad start. Ok, try this......take a piece of cloth and rub it around Lucy's scent glands on either side of her mouth, and then also rub the cloth on her private parts under her tail. Then rub the scented cloth all over your kitty Rambo's head and on top of his back near his tail. See if that changes Lucy's reaction to Rambo. Do this until Lucy stops hissing at him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts