Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have two adult cats that we've owned since kittenhood (7 & 10yrs old). Recently we decided to add another to the family and adopted Samson, a black Maine **** mix, from animal control. He was very scared/timid, plastered at the back of his cage, and set to be put down soon if & when they ran out of room. He did rub my hand and plaster himself into my neck, shaking in fear when we visited. Once we spoke for him, they neutered him Sunday (8 days ago) and gave him his rabies & combo vaccine. We took him home Monday night.

We isolated him in our guest bedroom. I assumed his hiding was due to the many changes he'd been through (and the UTI they'd been treating him for). He did eat enthusiastically, but threw it up sometime that night. He also had a massive bowel movement, the last part of which was loose/watery. Come Tues & Weds he would not eat at all, some clear nasal & eye discharge. Thursday he felt very hot to the touch, we took him to our vet who gave him fluids w/nutrients in it, antibiotic shot, and sent him home w/his 105.9 fever. Still very lethargic and hiding... Friday the fever had not gotten any better and I took him back in. Our vet recommended a 24/7 clinic as he needed round-the-clock care. We took him in and by Saturday (<24hrs there) had racked up a $3800 bill...

They said his WBC & platelets counts were low, bilirubin elevated, chest xray done, ultrasound started (he had a seizure so they had to stabilize him & resume later (ultrasound showed no fluids but gastroenteritis), heart rate a little low as was his breathing. They gave him fluids, antibiotics, and had to keep stabilizing his BP. We transferred him to another 24/7 vet hospital when they told us it would run us $1500 a night MORE to continue his care x 4-7 nights and we should consider euthanizing as there was no guarantee that would save him (I am in the human medical field and understand there are no guarantees).

Saturday I also heard from the shelter his littermate tested positive for panleukopenia (adding more weight to Samson's suspected diagnosis). Probably means they got sick about the same time (they were not in the same cage at shelter). The second clinic has had him since Sat. evening.. by then blood was coming out of his nose (possibly due to the low platelets), he was noticeably congested, still very lethargic, but at least his temp was down to 103, inner eyelid not fully retracting, runny eyes. Vet has been very good at staying in touch. The vet this afternoon said he's stable (no decline) and his temp has been normal since Sunday. Plus some good news: Friday his WBCs were 1.7, Sunday 1.85, today 1.99; platelets have also increased (she told me the #s but I was searching for a pen & can't recall). He did stand up to greet her when she approached him. His situation is still very guarded, but the WBC & platelet increase is promising.

Any input/comments/advice? Greatly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this right now.
If you have the funds to continue treatment, it would be worth it. That way, good outcome or bad, you will know that you did everything possible to save this kitty's life. If he survives, as I am hoping he does, that kitty will be loyal to you forever. Animals do not forget what humans do for them.

If, however, you cannot afford to continue treatment, you have a few options. The first, and most obvious, is to cease treatment and have the vet euthanize your kitty. The second is to try unconventional means to save this kitty's life. You could talk with the veterinary clinic and set up a donation fund to help with bills. I have seen in done via Craigslist here in Kansas City. Another option is to talk with rescues in the area and see what kind of resources they know of that would help in these kinds of situations. Still a third option is to contact the shelter you got your kitty from, and possibly an attorney to have them pay the bill. There was a situation here in the KC Metro where a shelter was knowingly adopting out sick animals, and they became liable for vet bills. I don't know that this is the case with yours, but it would seem to me that shelter personnel should have been able to recognize a sick kitty.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top